ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Valued Member
Reaction score

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't think so, but I'm not familiar with a few of the fish you keep. But going by the general rule one inch of fish per gallon, you have space. Imo, but I'm no stocking expert and other will chime in shortly and either agree with me or say hey, she doesn't no what she's talking about, you are full lol.

Edit to add: you have a canister filter and live plants so that even more reason I feel your fine.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ChrisTheFishkeeper2004 said:
Hello everyone, so in my tank I have 7 guppies, 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 Nerite snail, 3 Clown plecos (not for algae I just like them) 2 otocinclus cats and 3 Sterbai Cory catfish. Am I overstocked? The reason I ask is because I wanted to get a few more Cory cats and a few more otocinclus... but the man at the store said I’m overstocked. Oh also I have a 70 gallon tank, with a canister filter and live plants
You're not really overstocked IMO, although Plecos do have large bioloads so they would be the most concern. What are the dimensions of your tank and what model is your canister filter?

You definitely need to up the numbers of your Sterbai and Otos as they prefer to be in a shoal. Also keep an eye on your gourami for any signs of aggression. Also, you'd need to manage your guppies as they are prolific breeders and can quickly over run your tank.

I've seen ranks far more overstocked than yours though!

Please never use the inch per gallon rule, it is seriously flawed in every conceivable way.

Ms rose said:
I wouldn't think so, but I'm not familiar with a few of the fish you keep. But going by the general rule one inch of fish per gallon, you have space. Imo, but I'm no stocking expert and other will chime in shortly and either agree with me or say hey, she doesn't no what she's talking about, you are full lol.

Edit to add: you have a canister filter and live plants so that even more reason I feel your fine.
The inch per gallon rule is extremely flawed and should never be used. A 10 inch fish would never be happy or healthy in a 10 gallon tank. Just for your info

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses! I have the Rena filstar xp4 It is for tanks that are like 175 gallons so i figured some extra filtration would be nice. And yes I know about the Otos and Cory’s but I kind of “rescued” them from a little run down fish store that didn’t look like they knew what they were doing. So I did querentine for about a month just to be safe. I bought the only Cory cats and Otos that they had, I felt bad lol. Yes I have checked and he is very sweet he likes to hang out near my driftwood a lot and doesn’t flair or rush towards any fish. Thanks for the help!

Also, could I fit some more Cory cats and Otos in the tank?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DaleM said:
The inch per gallon rule is extremely flawed and should never be used. A 10 inch fish would never be happy or healthy in a 10 gallon tank. Just for your info
That's a fair statement, and I do no it's flawed, I just was thinking 17 inhabitants in a 75 would be ok, but I did also mention I'm unfamiliar with some of the fish in his tank. But a healthy disagreement is always necessary to get to the bottom of each question . I respect your theory and opinion for sure

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, could I fit some more Cory cats and Otos in the tank?
No problems at all adding some more corys and otos, just make sure they're the same species as other species of cory won't shoal together. You could easily do a total of 8 of each I reckon to start with.

Just keep an eye on your parameters, you might need more regular water changes to keep nitrates down with the bioload of 3 Plecos, although you have a large tank thankfully at 70 gallons

Ms rose said:
That's a fair statement, and I do no it's flawed, I just was thinking 17 inhabitants in a 75 would be ok, but I did also mention I'm unfamiliar with some of the fish in his tank. But a healthy disagreement is always necessary to get to the bottom of each question . I respect your theory and opinion for sure
Just wanted to give you the heads up as some members will have a total meltdown when they see the inch per gallon rule mentioned

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I have seen this lol it's totally understandable and I get that logic,

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the quick responses! I have the Rena filstar xp4 It is for tanks that are like 175 gallons so i figured some extra filtration would be nice. And yes I know about the Otos and Cory’s but I kind of “rescued” them from a little run down fish store that didn’t look like they knew what they were doing. So I did querentine for about a month just to be safe. I bought the only Cory cats and Otos that they had, I felt bad lol. Yes I have checked and he is very sweet he likes to hang out near my driftwood a lot and doesn’t flair or rush towards any fish. Thanks for the help!
Skip the rating of the manufacturer for tank sizes. More important is how many gallons of water can the filter turn around per hour. You want to be somewhere in the range of 5 times your tank volume per hour or more. In your case this equals to 350 GPH and your filter is rated 190 GPH with media. You might want to add a filter or stock lightly.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Baba said:
Skip the rating of the manufacturer for tank sizes. More important is how many gallons of water can the filter turn around per hour. You want to be somewhere in the range of 5 times your tank volume per hour or more. In your case this equals to 350 GPH and your filter is rated 190 GPH with media. You might want to add a filter or stock lightly.
+1 to this, most manufacturers grossly overestimate the ability of their filters. I had a HOB rated for tanks up to 150L and it only had an output of 400L/hr

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I might pick up and extra HOB Filter it might help some. Yes I will be checking on my peramaters once I add the new Sterbai Cory’s and the Otos. Thanks for all the help!
Have a look at the Aquaclear range, they have room for extra biomedia so are very efficient filters. At your size tank, you'd probably be in the range of the Aquaclear 110

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom