Am I Overstocked???

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bells87, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Bells87Valued MemberMember

Hey guys!

I'm heading to my LFS tomorrow as a bit of a post birthday shopping trip and I wanted to get maybe one female betta for my 20 gallon as well as some decorating supplies and plants for other smaller male betta tanks I'm setting up.

My current stocking is:

6 Cories (Aeneus, 5 bronze and 1 albino) -- each at 1.5in in size from tip to tail
    6 Cardinal Tetras
    10 Espie Rasboras
    2 Ottos
    3 Nerite Snails

NOW, before I get scolded regarding Bronze corydoras being too big for a 20g, yes, I agree. I will be upgrading to a 55g in the future so once they start really putting on some size, they'll be in the comfort of a 55g. With the Tetras on the other hand, they were initially 6 then I added 8, the last of the newly added 8 died 2 days ago (I have a post that tries to tackle that mystery separately) and have since decided to not add anymore Cardinals for now. As for temp, the Bettas will be fine as my tank is at 28°C--I know, may be too hot for the cories and/or ottos but they were raised in 30C tank water--I know this because my lfs is a very reputable source of info and in more than one occasion has actually prevented me from buying fish that wouldn't do well in my tank even if it meant a big loss of sale. Sooooo....

Can my current tank take one or two more medium-ish sized inhabitants (bettas or other smallish medium sized fish)?

I currently do my waterchanges every 4 or 5 days so I keep my water as pristine as possible what with my ottos going to town on all my algae.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Is this a 20 long or 20 tall?

The otos need to be in groups of 6+ so i'd either rehome them or get 4 more

3. OP
    OP
    B

Bells87Valued MemberMember

Its a tall, and oh yes, about that..once I get a bigger tank I will be getting more otos! Right now it might be a bit much to have 4 types of schooling fish in my tank

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would leave it as it is until you get a bigger tank.

5. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

Betta may or may not like other fish in her tank! Leave it be until you get a bigger tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice