Am I Overstocked?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by The Aquarist, Apr 17, 2017.

1. T

The Aquarist New Member Member

I have a 50 gal with the below in it. Is this too many fish to have?

3 corys
    3 galss cats
    3 angels (med)
    3 swordtails
    2 doctor fish
    2 mollies

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Not overstocked but you do have stocking issues.
    What type of Cory?
    Cores and glass cats need to be in groups of 6+
    3 is not a good number for angels, 2 will usually pair up and bully the third.

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with above, you can have this stocking:

8 glass catfish
    2 angels
    3 swordtails
    2 doctor fish
    2 mollies
    8 cories (what type of cory?)

4. OP
    OP
    T

So I have rehomed the angels mollies and swordtails. I now have. I was thinking of adding 2 or 3 more gauramis and 3 more loach. Do you think that would be ok or is that too many fish

7 juli corys
    4 dwarf gouramis
    3 ghost cats
    3 black loach
    2 doctor fish

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions? I'd up the group of ghost cats to 8, same with the loaches.

6. OP
    OP
    T

48 inches long 18 inches tall 15 inches deep

7. Anders247

Yeah, definitely up the groups of schooling fish.

8. OP
    OP
    T

What about the dwarf gourami's Id like a couple more. As far as the loachs im holding of until i can find the striped kuhli's, all of the lfs only have the black

9. Anders247

Are all of the DGs you have male?

10. OP
    OP
    T

Im not sure how do you know if there male or female?

11. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Males are the brightly colored ones, females are more greyish-silvery. Males have long dorsal (top) fins that come to a point, females' dorsals are shorter and rounded. Male DGs have a reputation for being quite aggressive with each other, so proceed with caution if stocking a tank with more than one male DG.

12. OP
    OP
    T

Well in looking at them I think they are all males. I havent seen any aggression yet, does the same logic apply as cichlids where if you put enough males they cant claime terrortory so they dont get aggressive?

13. bopsalot

DGs and african cichlids are totally different fish from different environments. I don't think it would be fair to compare the two. Crowding male DGs sounds pretty stressful, but I don't know for sure if they are found in nature this way like some African lake cichlids are. I've never attempted 4 male DG in one tank before, so I don't know what they will do. They likely came from a stressful crowded all-male tank in the store where they had no opportunity to stake out territory. Hopefully, in your tank they will have enough decor to do this. I suspect you will see aggression as this happens, but who knows for sure. Conventional wisdom says to keep only one male per tank, though. Keep an eye on them and good luck!

14. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would up the black ones up to 5 or 6 then get that same amount of striped ones so that they have a bigger school.

15. OP
    OP
    T

16. bopsalot

Top one I'd say definitely male. The bottom one is a color variety I'm not super familiar with. I'd still guess male, but maybe someone with more experience could confirm this?

17. Anders247

IMO, it would be fine to keep about 6 of them together to reduce aggression. The same is done with things like chocolate gouramis.

18. bopsalot

Listen to Anders247, he would know far better than me!

19. OP
    OP
    T

20. Anders247

No problem!
    If you do this, make sure to rearrange the decorations once they are all added together so none are established yet. Or if you have none, add them all at the same time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice