Am I Overstocked?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aamanrules, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Aamanrules

Aamanrules New Member Member

I've been quite careful not to over stock but my bolloon Molly decided to to have 9 little fry.
    I have a 16G tank, not massive I know but I live in shared house so it's generous to let me have it.
    I have 3 zebra dianos, 1 bolloon molley, one small BN pleco, 1 guppy, 1 swordtail, one platy and a assisian snail.
    What I'm basicily asking is, under 'one inch per-fish' but with all the tiny little fry swimming around - does that alter it heavily?

2. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

The one inch per gallon rule isn't a very good rule actually. If you just had the one molly, you'd already be overstocked.

3. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

Mollys usually need about 29 gallons anyway but once those fry grow you will be overstocked, plus some of your fish are schooling fish which need about 5-6 of a species so I'd look into upgrading your tank soon.

4. OP
    OP
    Aamanrules

Yeah I know about the molleys though it's my girlfriends fave fish so I can't really do a awful lot about that. I was more looking to remove fish rather then upgrading.
    The zebra dianos started as a school of 6 but due to stocking reasons I didn't replace the ones that died.

5. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Hello,

Unfortunately you are quite overstocked. Especially now your Molly has had fry. The One Inch Per Gallon rule is garbage, and should be avoided at all costs.

I'd remove the Molly, the Pleco (depending on the footprint of your tank), and the Zebra Danios.

6. OP
    OP
    Aamanrules

Tbf the molley and the pleco would be the ones that had to stay due the pleco being my personal fish and the molley the gfs, though I am willing to remove the most of the rest. I change water every second day 15%, very very well planted and oxanated if any help.

7. Danjamesdixon

What is the physical size of your tank? Depending on that, you could probably get away with it if you removed everything else bar those two.

8. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

I would remove the swordtail, molly, and pleco. The pleco will produces a lot of waste even though it's small. Swordtails are strong swimmers and need a lot of space to swim. Although balloon mollies are usually much smaller than other mollies, they still produce a lot of waste.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    Aamanrules

I don't have tape but too me it looks around 60 cm landscape and like 30ish cm up. Moss covered floor, with low plants at front and long at back with several hiding spots for pleco, 2 pieces of driftwood and slate cave.
    I will remove all but the bolloon, pleco and snail (too keep the other snail population under control) to LFS.

10. Danjamesdixon

I'd say that's too small for the Pleco in all honesty.

Since you can't go bigger in terms of volume, could you change to a longer tank? You seem pretty set on keeping the Pleco - which I understand - but if that is the case, you have a duty of care to him.

As mentioned, both Mollys and Plecos are heavy waste producers, so you'll need to keep up your stringent water change schedule, or overfiltrate by quite a bit to keep up.

11. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Unfortunately you should try to put the favoritism aside. If the Molly and Pleco are truly your favorites you should care for there well being. The only fish that doesn't need to be removed is the Guppy and Platy. Which fish happens to be your favorite does not change the answer of yes, you are overstocked.

12. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

A 60cm tank should be ok for a bristlenose pleco. The footprint is more important for them than water volume, assuming of course water changes are kept up with to keep parameters stable.

Balloon mollies are shorter and slower than regular mollies, so I think she will be fine as well. Again, stay on top of water changes keeping two messy fish.

While general stocking rules are good, individual situations have to be considered as well. It's easy to sit here and tell someone to go buy a new tank or get rid of their fish, and sometimes that is what needs to happen. But in a borderline case, there are ways to be creative to make it work, I think.

13. Danjamesdixon

While I agree with that statement for the most part, what we have to remember is that we aren't the ones losing out - it's always the fish. They didn't ask to be in our care, they were forced into it. The least we can do is provide them with the level of care they deserve.

14. S

Slaphammer New Member Member

If the inch-per-gallon is flawed, what criteria is everyone using to determine that this tank is overstocked? I have been using aqadvisor.com as a guideline, but some claim that it is also inaccurate. So what exactly are accurate criteria?

15. Danjamesdixon

Common sense and logic, along with a healthy side of Fishlore goodness :)

16. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

There is a very good chance that if he returns the fish he loves to the fish store, they are going to be bought by people who are not going to be putting them in a large enough tank, much less willing to do multiple water changes each week to keep them healthy as the OP is. While this tank is not ideal, it is not terrible, and it has a decent footprint.

17. Fishbeard

Fishbeard Valued Member Member

So I'm not an expert on any of those fish... all I can say is that if you're going to bother to do the water changes, you might want to just bump it up to 30% each time, and make sure to clean the substrate relatively frequently.

Some people change 50% every day, so just increasing the amount changed would help the health of any fish.

18. Danjamesdixon

There are more ways to rehome a fish than to give him back to your LFS! I've rehomed Guppies before, and through careful choosing, they ended up in a 200 gallon monster of a tank with 100's of their Conspecifics. Far better than the 26gal I had at the time.

19. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You are overstocked. The molly, BN pleco, and swordtail all need a bigger tank.

20. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I'm asking you to please bear with us. The people on here are passionate about their fish. Fishlore is probably the premiere fish forum on the internet. There are forums that specialize in a specific groups of fish, but when it comes to all things aquatic, this is where most of the hardcore fish keepers end up. That being said, there is room for fish keepers of all levels here. I know you are not going to re-home your favorite fish. I wouldn't. Re-homing often means death. Compared to the all of the households that have fish tanks, we are a very small minority here and where a fish loss is really no big deal in the larger world, we take it very personally. I would say the biggest drawback to the over zealousness here is when new people who come looking for advice and are just bombarded by the stocking Naz..Oh wait, I can't say that, It's politically incorrect,.You get my drift. I have looked at several back posts and found that the date of enrollment and the date of last activity are one in the same. That makes me angry because we are not promoting responsible fish care if we can not offer advise in a way that makes people want to come back and continue to learn. If you are on here asking questions , you want the best for your fish and that is something so far above most of the people who have tanks in their house. Your living arrangement is not ideal, nor do I believe it is permanent. If you can find another home for the other fish, that would be great and when your living arrangement change, you can upgrade to that larger tank and you'll have that smaller tank open...hint, hint. Keep up on your water changes, you are going to have to be meticulous about that. Please stay with us, we are a good group and you could learn a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice