Am I Overstocked?

1. Hatchet47 Initiate Member

I currently have 2 Gbr's, 10 Neon Tetras, 2 Pearl Gourami's, 3 Cherry Barbs, and 3 Guppies. The tank is 43 Gallons and I'm thinking about adding some cories, 2 young angels, and 4 Hatchets. Would that be pushing it?

2. Daniel W Member Member

I think you can add the corys and mayeb the hatchets, but definitely not the angles

3. Hatchet47 Initiate Member

What if I buy the angels when they are only babies.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? Is it planted? Since you already have GBR's in there I would be leery of adding more cichlids to the mix.

5. Hatchet47 Initiate Member

I have no idea is there a way to post a picture? It has a lot of plastic plants and a few rocky hiding spots. The Gbr's came from a friend who owns a 200 gallon which had 4 large angels.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Just click on the icon of the picture in a frame in the toolbar above where you type out a reply. It's near the right side of the toolbar.

Can you measure the size of your tank and post it here?

7. Hatchet47 Initiate Member

The height is 22 inches. The width is exactly 1 ft. The length is 35 inches.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

So a 40 high. That's actually a decent size for angels, I still don't know how they'd mix with GBRs though! Angels can be extremely territorial. bizaliz3? TexasDomer?

9. shusband Well Known Member Member

Angels mix well with Rams. I have them in a 55. Angels tend to stay in the middle while Rams patrol the bottom.

10. Hatchet47 Initiate Member

Thats what I heard. The only thing I'm afraid of is rather or not the angels nips the guppys tails. My Guppies don't nip so the angel would be ok. What do u guys think?

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You need to rehome the neons. They're not temp compatible with the GBRs or angels, and they'll be eaten by the angelfish.

After you rehome your neons, increase your cherry barbs to 8-10. Hatchetfish need to be in groups of 8-10 too.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

I might do only 1 angelfish if you already have 2 pearl gouramis, depending on the footprint.

So how about this?

1x Angelfish
    2x Pearls
    2x GBR
    3x Male guppies
    8x Cherry barbs
    8x Marbled Hatchetfish
    6x Warm water cories

Personally I'd rehome the guppies because your tank is kinda full, but it's your choice.

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, missed that!

I'd still do only 1 angelfish.

14. Hatchet47 Initiate Member

Actually my Neons and Gbr's are both fine in the same water :/. Also I was planning on adding 2 baby angels so they wouldn't kill the neons when the get older.

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Sure, in the short term. But in higher temperatures your neons won't live as long.

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They'll still kill and eat the neons as soon as they get big enough.