Question Am I Overstocked In 20g?

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 20g tank 25(L)x14(W)x18(H) with aqueon 10 filter but after plants rocks and driftwood it's more like 18g of water i would say. I have 1 dwarf gourami, 5 platies, 2 mollys and 2 nerite snails. Thinking of adding one more molly but not sure if im pushing it. Fish get along fine and have plenty of plants and rocks to hide behind. How many fish if any could i possibly add still?

Last edited:

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s pretty well stocked if a bit over. Livebearers are messy fish in that they have a large bio load for their size. Plus if you have mixed genders then you will have fry that may end up surviving and maturing in your tank. Best to leave it as it is or upgrade if you want more fish.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty well stocked if a bit over. Livebearers are messy fish in that they have a large bio load for their size. Plus if you have mixed genders then you will have fry that may end up surviving and maturing in your tank. Best to leave it as it is or upgrade if you want more fish.
Tank is all male because i was afraid of not having enough space for fry lol. I don't have room for bigger tank unfortunately. Im hoping all male tank won't show aggression. There is some pecking but nothing serious. They do poop a lot but i do 25% WC every 5 days or so

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
now 1 molly is super bulling the other one. they are both male as i don't want or have space for any fry. if i add another male molly would that disperse bullying or add on to it? i tried isolating the bully in a breeder tank (specifically bought to act as a jail lol) but as soon as he is out after few days first thing he does is chase other molly as soon as he gets in his range, anywhere in the tank

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
You probably will have to add a few more mollies to get them to settle down.... It's weird how 2 in a tank = blood in the water where 5 or 10 = fine (usually)....... The question is.... Do you really want more mollies?

For me - I don't see it as overstocked on the whole for a 20-gallon...

BUT... Everything in it is a upper water column fish... and that could potentially make it seem overstocked when it's probably not by the numbers.

My opinion... It's missing bottom feeders/clean up crew to deal with the mess left over from top water column fish eating.... I would want to add a couple corys and a couple more snails to clean things up.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no, a few more mollies would be way over stocked!
Those fish can get large, and it's only a 20 tall, not a long, so there is less vertical swimming space.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
You probably will have to add a few more mollies to get them to settle down.... It's weird how 2 in a tank = blood in the water where 5 or 10 = fine (usually)....... The question is.... Do you really want more mollies?

For me - I don't see it as overstocked on the whole for a 20-gallon...

BUT... Everything in it is a upper water column fish... and that could potentially make it seem overstocked when it's probably not by the numbers.

My opinion... It's missing bottom feeders/clean up crew to deal with the mess left over from top water column fish eating.... I would want to add a couple corys and a couple more snails to clean things up.
I already have 2 snails in there which do pretty good job with algae. I heard cories or plecos have big bioload too so im not trying to increase it anymore. I do not want more mollys, but i dont want a bully either lol. Looks like id either have to return it and keep single molly since i can't fit more or make this one stop bullying

Oh no, a few more mollies would be way over stocked!
Those fish can get large, and it's only a 20 tall, not a long, so there is less vertical swimming space.
Yes that's what i worry i dont want fry and i dont want aggression

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you're already maxed out with stock, based on the current filtration. It would probably be ok to add a small school of harlequins (6) if you return the mollies - but I would also add more filtration - like a small sponge filter or something similar. :)

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a good idea to think about which part of the water column these types of fish live in most of the time. All the fish you have and have suggested live in the mid to upper levels mostly which can crowd that part of the tank.
I personally would return the Mollies and get a school of 6-8 cories or kuhlie loaches which live on the bottom of the tank most of the time so the upper levels of the tank don't get too crowded. Neither Cory Cats or Kuhlie Loaches have a large bio-load. Pleco's on the other hand do.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom