Am I overstocked? (29 gallon tank)

GouramiGuy714

So I’m wondering if my tank is overstocked or if I can get a few more otos and panda cories or guppies

1 male thick lipped gourami
2 male guppies
6 harlequin rasboras
1 oto
1 panda cory
3 venazuala cories

29 gallon tank, 30 percent WC’s every week and 2 Java ferns

The bits floating around are duckwwed and the bubbles on top are from the airstone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 51

PAcanis

Whoo-boy.
I can see the re-home these get more of these answers now...

SamMe

I'm afraid PAcanis is right. It appears you have 3 different types of bottom dwellers, each of which are happiest in a group of 5 or 6. I don't think you have the footprint in that size tank to accommodate them. Once your rasboras reach maturity (you're going to love them!), they will take up most of the open space in the middle of the tank. As for the gourami, I have not kept them and aren't familiar with their size or requirements. I really like the unusual piece of wood you have in the left foreground of the tank, it almost looks swirled.

Mii

I suggest you pick between otos, panda cories, and Venezuela cories, rehome the others, and get a bigger school of the species you choose to keep.

jinjerJOSH22

So I’m wondering if my tank is overstocked or if I can get a few more otos and panda cories or guppies

1 male thick lipped gourami
2 male guppies
6 harlequin rasboras
1 oto
1 panda cory
3 venazuala cories

29 gallon tank, 30 percent WC’s every week and 2 Java ferns

The bits floating around are duckwwed and the bubbles on top are from the airstone
You'd be fine adding what you want IMO.
Oto's just aren't "bottom dwellers", more like "all surface dwellers" they stick to anything that could hold there food.

GouramiGuy714

You'd be fine adding what you want IMO.
Oto's just aren't "bottom dwellers", more like "all surface dwellers" they stick to anything that could hold there food.
so would I be able to get 3 more otos, and 3 mor pandas?

Mii

Having otos and cories is probably fine, but I'd suggest you pick one species of cories to keep and get a bigger school.

georgelee1000

School size wise. Yea the more the merrier. 6 is just a “magic” man-made number. I mean why not 5? Why not 7?
That being said, most of my tank I have more than 6 Cory of a certain species. However I do have a tank of 4 aldofoi. They are fine tbh. They will shoal together and they look pretty happy. So maybe consider increase the number of your loner?

jinjerJOSH22

sounds good to me

86 ssinit

Yep I think your good. A few more ottos and pandas and all good. That’s 3 more of each

MacZ

I don't think the tank can sustain more than 2 Otos. With their feeding specialization more than two will need supplementory feeding and that can end up in bad water quality soon.

Whoo-boy.
I can see the re-home these get more of these answers now...
Yep, imo the whole stock (and the decorations) might need a rework.

GouramiGuy714

Yep I think your good. A few more ottos and pandas and all good. That’s 3 more of each
So do you think I should keep the Venezuela cories and get 3 more pandas and 3 more otos? Seems like a lot. And I could upgrade to 50% WCs every week, would that help?

PAcanis

I would let your nitrate levels dictate how much water you should change.

GouramiGuy714

I am considering rehoming the venezuelas and getting 5 pandas instead of 3, and 3 otos. I’ve never heard the otos produce lots of bioload so I don’t think that would be a problem

Mii

I am considering rehoming the venezuelas and getting 5 pandas instead of 3, and 3 otos. I’ve never heard the otos produce lots of bioload so I don’t think that would be a problem
Yeah otos is fine the problem is more having 2 species of cories since they both want a school of their own kind.

PAcanis

I like Pandas. They seem to stay more on the substrate and hardscape more than my others.
But I only see four out at a time and I'm lucky if two are hanging out together. Not sure if I still have six or not.

MacZ

I’ve never heard the otos produce lots of bioload so I don’t think that would be a problem
The bioload isn't. It's just likely they starve. You don't have much aufwuchs and algae.

GouramiGuy714

The bioload isn't. It's just likely they starve. You don't have much aufwuchs and algae.
The pic may not show it but I do have enough algae for my current oto to always have a full belly. Also just did water change so lots of the algae is gone, and feed blanched cucumber every 5 days
Yeah otos is fine the problem is more having 2 species of cories since they both want a school of their own kind.
The panda has seemed much more out and about since I got the venezuelas and even hangs out with them as much as they do with each other, maybe he is shoaling with them since there aren’t any other pandas to shoal with

MacZ

Also just did water change so lots of the algae is gone, and feed blanched cucumber every 5 days
Algae are what they eat besides biofilm and bacteria films. As I said, one or two might live off of that in your tank. More otos will need food basically offered 24/7. They are grazers and never stop eating. A piece of cucumber every few days won't cut it.

For example here you can find more information. Use the search function here on the forum, you will find a lot about how to keep Otos fed (and alive).

GouramiGuy714

Okay, I ordered repashy soilent green and a big bag of catappa leaves. Should come by Tuesday. I want to get more live plants, but I can’t afford a planted light, and I’m just using the one that came with the tank kit. Hopping to slowly take out the fake plants and slowly give the tank a more natural look and I hope to get a black background behind the tank, I REALLY love the look of them. So I’m probably getting 3 more otos soon, what would you suggest I change my feeding schedule to? Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it and it helps me understand where I’m at with my tank more

MacZ

Okay, I ordered repashy soilent green and a big bag of catappa leaves.

So I’m probably getting 3 more otos soon, what would you suggest I change my feeding schedule to?
You are really determined to do this, eh? Please invest in live plants instead of fish and fish food first. Although catappa are always good to have.
But okay:
Daily, rotating: Zucchini, cucumber, 2-3 other different veggies. Fresh, quick blanched, get it out after 24-36 hours and replace them.
At least every second or third day: A rock or two (fist size) or a stick prepared with repashy.
Once a week BacterAE or frozen cyclops.
That way you should be able to sustain that number of otos.

Means a 50% waterchange once a week is the least you need. Otos have low bioload, but feeding them is rough on water quality.

but I can’t afford a planted light, and I’m just using the one that came with the tank kit.
This is no problem. For example I use a five Euro LED desk lamp for my planted cube. Plant lights are only necessary for a high-tech planted tank. Your's is not, so you can do a lot of easy, undemanding plants and that way focus on optimizing the tank for your fish.

Plants for you: Brasilian pennywort, hornwort, vallisneria, anubias, java fern, amazon frogbit, salvinia, elodea, egeria... All of those will easily work with your lights and your fish.

Edit: Oh, and btw: I see you have the java ferns planted in the substrate. Get them out! They rot in the substrate. Bind them to driftwood or rocks. Or let them float.

Mii

Okay, I ordered repashy soilent green and a big bag of catappa leaves. Should come by Tuesday. I want to get more live plants, but I can’t afford a planted light, and I’m just using the one that came with the tank kit. Hopping to slowly take out the fake plants and slowly give the tank a more natural look and I hope to get a black background behind the tank, I REALLY love the look of them. So I’m probably getting 3 more otos soon, what would you suggest I change my feeding schedule to? Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it and it helps me understand where I’m at with my tank more
If you want live plants and want them to be easy, get anubias. They are literally indestructible just don't burry the rhizome.

GouramiGuy714

Okay, blanching zucchini right now, should I take out the seeds like I do with cucumbers?

MacZ

Yes, please. Good call.

86 ssinit

Ok I missed that they were plastic plants. So for now at least one more Otto. I still think the pandas will be fine. I have one tank with 4-5 different types of Cory’s about 12 in the tank. 3 other tanks have one type with9-12 in each tank. All 4 tanks the Cory’s act the same. Add live plants for future ottos. Thing is both ottos and pandas are not that easy to keep. Both need well established tanks.
I guess what’s important here is what type of filtration are using

GouramiGuy714

If you want live plants and want them to be easy, get anubias. They are literally indestructible just don't burry the rhizome.
I got anubias when I got the java fern, and it fuzzed up and the leaves floated off within a few days, could this be because I buried the roots, which is what the fish store told me to do

MacZ

I got anubias when I got the java fern, and it fuzzed up and the leaves floated off within a few days, could this be because I buried the roots, which is what the fish store told me to do
Yes, they told you nonsense. Anubias and java fern have to be off the ground.

GouramiGuy714

Using the Quietflow LED Pro power filter 30 (hang on back, came with the tank kit)
What veggies are otos good with? I’ve googled it but I know there is lots of false info there so I wanna make sure
nce a week BacterAE or frozen cyclops.
Would cyclops work as well as BacterAE? Cyclops is cheaper but would the otos get any?

GouramiGuy714

Sounds like elodea doesnt do as well in higher temps and is a cold water plant. My temp is at 78 degrees farenheit, would this plant be okay? Going out to get some plants today and I want to make sure I get the right ones.

MacZ

Had no problem in 26°C very soft water. Except it was too dark in my tank (Blackwater).

GouramiGuy714

Plants for you: Brasilian pennywort, hornwort, vallisneria, anubias, java fern, amazon frogbit, salvinia, elodea, egeria... All of those will easily work with your lights and your fish
I went to the local fish store today, and could only find anubias and something labeled as something taiwan lily that looked like Brazilian pennywort and was labeled as an easy, low light plant for beginners. I’ll send a pic when it’s in the tank, and I got the catappa leaves and boiled them for 6 minutes and now they’re in the tank, also got some frozen cyclops. Do you know of any good online sites that ship good plants?

86 ssinit

A great easy growing plant is giant hygro. If you live on the east coast I could mail you some.

MacZ

Do you know of any good online sites that ship good plants?
Unless you also live in mainland Europe, sorry, no. I also mostly get my plants locally anyway, never ordered online.

I went to the local fish store today, and could only find anubias and something labeled as something taiwan lily that looked like Brazilian pennywort and was labeled as an easy, low light plant for beginners.
I almost can't believe there are stores with that bad of an assortment. On the other hand I don't know where you come from. I also had Nymphoides sp. taiwan for a while myself. Wouldn't call those low light, but they grow fast if conditions are right.

GouramiGuy714

Unless you also live in mainland Europe, sorry, no. I also mostly get my plants locally anyway, never ordered online.

I almost can't believe there are stores with that bad of an assortment. On the other hand I don't know where you come from. I also had Nymphoides sp. taiwan for a while myself. Wouldn't call those low light, but they grow fast if conditions are right.
Okay, I’ll try the Taiwan lily and see how it does, I really do like the look of it. Also tied the anubias to my driftwood, and got another piece of driftwood to replace a fake piece of wood decor with
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg. Here’s a pic

thats the Java fern floating until next WC when I’ll tie it somewhere. Here’s the new wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 12

MacZ

Good start, if you keep up the learning curve, you will soon be at a whole new level of fishkeeping. :) Good luck then.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
animalgirl257
Replies
Views
GouramiGuy714
  • Question
Replies
Views
LinnyWinny