Am I Overpopulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 10g fish tank with (forgive me I don't know my fish breeds well)

1 "suckerfish" (inch or 2 long)

2 tetras

2 glofish (regret buying don't scold me on that)

1 Cory

2 "glassfish" I don't really know their official name they are about 1 1/2 inch each

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would either upgrade your tank size or rehome them. You might not be overstocked now, but if you had/get the necessary schools you will be. Tetras need to be kept in schools of a bare minimum of 5. Glofish also need schools of a bare minimum of 5. Corydoras need to be in schools of a bare minimum of 4, preferably a minimum of 5. To give them the needed space for multiple schools, they should be in a minimum of 20 gallons. Glass Catfish also need to be kept in groups and need a minimum of 29 gallons.

OP
Mojo!

Mojo!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We test our water only when we have problems because we don't own a water tester. (If fish are dying consistently) but last time we did it was fine

Tetras are less than an inch

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tetras are less than an inch
Can you post pictures of the fish? We can figure out identification then help with your stocking requirements. Most tetras get larger than an inch, but it depends on the species. I would recommend ordering the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. You can but it off Amazon for about $20.

OP
Mojo!

Mojo!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
caf89f5e66b046627579dd1313dd37b0.jpg

My sucker is hiding right now

Crud just realized I have ONE tetra

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 10g fish tank with (forgive me I don't know my fish breeds well)

1 "suckerfish" (inch or 2 long)

2 tetras

2 glofish (regret buying don't scold me on that)

1 Cory

2 "glassfish" I don't really know their official name they are about 1 1/2 inch each
What kind of Glofish is it? The tetras or danios? I bought Glofish, yes, it's ok. Though I regret buying them as they take away the look of a natural tank. I started with 5 in a 10 gallon, they are the tetra kind and the one apparently thought there were 1 too many. Once there were 4 life in the tank seemed much calmer. They also are much larger than they were when we bought them 1 1/2 years ago. Probably 2 1/2" and are in a 29 gallon.

Whatever size they are now is not the size they will be in a few months. See if you can bring some back to the store, especially if you explain that you overstocked your tank or didn't buy them for the proper size tank.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you get a picture of the "Glassfish"? I would like to narrow down the species. I'm guessing Glass Catfish as they are commonly found in pet stores, but I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom