Am I Overheating?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by happygolucky, Jun 12, 2016.

1. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Hi Fishlore,
    So for my new 75g tank I purchased a 250w Aqueon Pro in addition to my 100w Aqueon Pro (which works great, totally recommend). But after reading their heating chart, it says I only need the 250w if I want to heat my water 15 degrees above room temperature, which approximately what I want. Do I even need the 100w? Would it be overkill to have it there "supporting" the 250? If I can't use it, I guess it'd be time to buy another tank :)

2. octavio

octavioValued MemberMember

I think, in my humble opinion, the universe is telling you to buy another tank. Good luck.

3. Grimund

GrimundWell Known MemberMember

Actually, using the 5 watt power gallon guideline, you'd be fine to run both. I'd just keep an eye on your thermometer and place the second heater in a low flow spot on the other side of the tank from the other

4. DavoleBombValued MemberMember

You can't overheat a tank with an additional heater. They shut off when they reach their preset or user-chosen temperature. You could fill a tank with hundreds of heaters and it'll still only go up to the temperature you want.

That said, having more than one heater in a tank is a good thing. If one heater stops heating, you have backup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice