Am I overfeeding my fish? Or are they UNDERFEEDING?

1. Katesfish Initiate Member

This is Kate. If you have seen my other posts, you know that I have two fish: Frank and Edie, and that we have a class fish: Sherman. Edie is a Veiltail femal betta. Sherman is a Crowntail male betta. Frank is a halfmoon male betta. I have some concerns regarding feeding:
    I don't know how much to feed my fish. Every source I find has a different answer. At the current time, I feed Frank and Edie each 1 pebble before I go to school, and 1 right before bed (about 11:30). At school, they feed Sherman 1 pebble every other day. Am I overfeeding? OR, are they underfeeding? My fish are happy (mine made a bubble nest), but Sherman was, too (before he got fin rot of course). Also, I used to have a betta, Betty (my first fish) I fed her 5 pebbles a day, and she lived for 4 years. I would just like some expert advice.
    (Also, just for the record, I am only twelve. If my quetsions are stupid, then just know I am young and unexperienced.)
    Any replies will be appreciated. Note: if someone else has posted similar questions, then I am sorry.
    Thanks for your help!
    -Kate

2. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

You feed them pebbles? Or do you mean pellets?

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I typically feed my bettas 3-5 pellets twice a day, depending on the size of the betta and the size of the pellet, as well as the bettas activity level. Larger fish need to eat more, smaller pellets need to fed more of, less active fish need to fed less. Assuming you were feeding a typical-sized pellet food, 3-4 twice a day should be fine.

Now that said, you're fish don't have the space to burn off that amount of food, so feeding them less is what you actually need to do. As I've seen stated in one of your other threads, you need to keep your bettas in 2.5 gallon, heated, filtered tanks of their own. To save money and space, you could also buy a 5 or 10 gallon tank and divide it.

There is no need to be rude. You're asking for help, and we're going to give it to you, whether its what you want to hear or not. ;)

Welcome to FL, btw :)

4. Katesfish Initiate Member

Thank you for that. I'm not so worried now. I guess I need to get them a bigger tank. But, until that time, I do feel better with what they have. It never registered until you mentioned it (I am just a kid) that they don't burn as much of it. But it does make sense. So, thanks! :)

5. tpasser2 Member Member

I have a male veiltail betta and I feed it 2-3 pellets a day. I'll usually give it one in the morning and then one or two for dinner. I also feed it a few pieces of blood worms a couple times a week. I would say that 3-5 pellets for my betta (in a bowl) would be way too much for it. I used to follow the directions on the container which say as much as it can eat in a couple of minutes, but I think that is still way too much.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure thing :) If you use coupons, you can get a killer deal on tanks at the pet store. Other wise, WalMart sells 5 gallon kits for $25 and 10 gallon kits for $30. I have $14 worth of coupons if you'd like, that I can link to you, but I think two of them need to be used by tomorrow. But you could get a 10 gallon tank kit for about $20 with them :) You'd still need gravel, decor and probably a heater, but those can be worked up to over time ;)

7. mrgoogls Member Member

you already have alot of good advice thanks to akari...always beating me to thread! lol. but for a tank, petco sometimes has sales that are 1$ per gallon. so a 10 gal would be 10$. no heater or filter...but still a good deal. you could buy like a 20gal, divide it put a male on each side and the female with one of them. then they would all have alot of room.:D

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

For what you still have to pay for the hood ($30), a filter ($20) and a heater ($15), a kit makes life much easier ;)

Also, male and female bettas should not be housed together unless you are breeding them, and have tons of experience (and money, and time). Females, like males, are not always appreciative of tank mates, much less other bettas ;)

9. mrgoogls Member Member

i would trust akari with bettas more than me. i have no experince with bettas:D just going by what i know of them and other fish. either way, then you could split a 20 gal into 3 spots and put one in each. or 3 different tanks if you really want....

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I have my 20 long divided 3 ways. Its a great looking tank, for just throwing it together with what I had on hand lol