Am I Overdoing On Water Changes?

JackieWitch

quick question. My ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, pH stable at 7.8. My nitrates are between 0 and 5 (apI master kit). So I was just wondering, I do OCD (lol) driven 25/30% water changes weekly. I have live plants. So I am just wondering if I carry on doing them this week with suck low nitrates, will my plants struggle?
My hands are just itching with all the water changing parafernalia on the floor...
Do I skip this week?
Continue with weekly but change less or is this perfectly ok?
I have noticed some of my plants started declining in growth and some yellow leaves, even though they are still all right, mostly...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 184

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Water changes do more then reduce nitrates ..
They add trace elements that plants and fish use up ..We have no test for such so it is really trial and error still for many.
Your tank and fish look great ..I would not change a thing .
But if you do make sure to note what you did before and what you are doing now so you can go back if needed ..

Dunk2

Fishlore VIP
quick question. My ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, pH stable at 7.8. My nitrates are between 0 and 5 (apI master kit). So I was just wondering, I do OCD (lol) driven 25/30% water changes weekly. I have live plants. So I am just wondering if I carry on doing them this week with suck low nitrates, will my plants struggle?
My hands are just itching with all the water changing parafernalia on the floor...
Do I skip this week?
Continue with weekly but change less or is this perfectly ok?
I have noticed some of my plants started declining in growth and some yellow leaves, even though they are still all right, mostly...

Are you shaking the second nitrate bottle according to the instructions before using it to test?

P.S. The water changes you describe shouldn’t be too much or too frequent.

OP
J

JackieWitch

Are you shaking the second nitrate bottle according to the instructions before using it to test?
Yes, I use a timer

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Beautiful tank. I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to your water changing schedule. If you are not already doing so and you are concerned about your plants with your low nitrates get some Thrive. It will raise your nitrate level and your plants should love it.

jmaldo

Fishlore VIP
IMHO, NO!
And of course you will get success stories from members stating the opposite. The debate will continue.
Water changes, are beneficial to the fish and plants.The amount depends on the size of the tank, inhabitants, plants, fertilizers, filtration, feedings, etc...
As mentioned w/c replenishes essential minerals/elements and removes organic/inorganic toxins that can build up over time.
I consider myself a novice compared to others as a "Wet Pet" keeper and "Underwater Gardener".
I personally do a minimum 50% weekly on all my tanks.
When I have fry, youngsters they get a w/c every 2-3 days. Just started keeping young "Discus" and they get 75-90% every other day.
The problems you mentioned with the plants can be a fert / light issue.

Good Luck!

Tank is Looking Good!

Learning all the Time.

OP
J

JackieWitch

Beautiful tank. I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to your water changing schedule. If you are not already doing so and you are concerned about your plants with your low nitrates get some Thrive. It will raise your nitrate level and your plants should love it.
Thank you
Just did my WC and added some tropica liquid fert. Thanks guys. Ps: just love doing this as the rainbows seem to love the increased flow ( I don’t turn filter off when doing the changes, so they love the waterfall effect) they seem to wait to have a good dedicated playtime whenever I change the water lol. The gourami thinks they are clearly off their heads and runs to the other side. I feel like I can relax after a water change. Probably the OCD talking: “aaah everybody is clean and happy...”
(puts feet up sitting in the designated fish chair)

SmallFry69

Thank you
Just did my WC and added some tropica liquid fert. Thanks guys. Ps: just love doing this as the rainbows seem to love the increased flow ( I don’t turn filter off when doing the changes, so they love the waterfall effect) they seem to wait to have a good dedicated playtime whenever I change the water lol. The gourami thinks they are clearly off their heads and runs to the other side. I feel like I can relax after a water change. Probably the OCD talking: “aaah everybody is clean and happy...”
(puts feet up sitting in the designated fish chair)
I have baby mollie fry and I don’t do water changes because they will get sucked up what should I do

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I have baby mollie fry and I don’t do water changes because they will get sucked up what should I do
It is more important that ever to do water changes when you have fry. Are they in a tank by themselves or still in the tank with mom? Either way water changes are critical to their health and growth.

Just siphon your water into a white bucket. If you happen to siphon up a baby you will be able to see it and can put it back in the tank.

smee82

I do 80%+ every week. If your plants are not doing as well as they were you might need to change your fert schedule or you ferts themselves.

Jimmie93

Well Known
You can never do too many water changes sometimes I do 2-3 small ones weekly or a big 60 percent.

galaxy5

This may not be correct, but water changes may be needed if using store bought pellets, because they have salt in it and builds up over time, whereas if you buy fresh fish vs. frozen which has salt in it, and make your own food, there's no addition of salt ever. I make my food by grinding up 3 catfish fillets, and 1-2 heads of brocolli, boiling it with some water, and then adding five packets inside a box of Knox gelatine, as Knox is made from beef. You could grind up some turnips or something but it helps to boil it for just a little bit to take away any harsh tasting vegetables, or I feed with just a bit of chopped up catfish alternating. If they don't eat all the gelatine food, I remove it later with one of these syringes:

OP
J

JackieWitch

I have about 13 in a small tank, gave away mum and dad and just waiting for them to grow so I can donate them to the lfs. They are little nightmares getting sucked up in the siphon. I put the siphon now on top of a decoration to close the opening a bit coupled with bending the siphon tube very quickly whenever they get sucked up and just release them before they get through. It’s challenging but it has to be done

Dechi

Well Known
I do 50% water change in my planted tank weekly. That’s not OCD, that’s called good care !

OP
J

JackieWitch

I know. The question was related to low nitrates and if I was having an impact on plant growth by keeping them too low through WC since the plants feed on them. Therefore I asked should I space them out, do less volume at a time or if I was just overthinking it?
The consensus seems to be don’t change a thing. So I didn’t

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
I do a 10-20% change every day on my 46gal. But I have a fish who is very sensitive and needs pristine water and also can't handle larger water changes, apparently. So I do smaller ones daily. This tank is planted but my nitrates still sit at 5-10 even with the daily WC. No issues with my plants that I have.

My 20 gallon I do 50% once a week. Its lightly planted with some hornwort.

86 ssinit

Fishlore Legend
No your doing great! Plants may need other ferts like iron and potassium. What ferts are you feeding them.

OP
J

JackieWitch

No your doing great! Plants may need other ferts like iron and potassium. What ferts are you feeding them.
I used to feed them weekly with Tropica liquid fert, as I read it is safe for shrimp. But the problem I had was round about the time I was dosing weekly to the specifications was that I had a couple of harlequin rasbora and rainbows filling with fluid and dying, sort of having either kidney or heart failure without any previous sign of disease, one at a time sort of weekly,a day or 2 after water changes, without any new fish additions and not treatable with paraguard, however, the weird deaths stopped after I stopped with the fert. So I was scared to dose again. So now since this thread I have re-started but I am half-dosing it. just in case.

86 ssinit

Fishlore Legend
I use the flourish products. Strange the one at a time deaths. Why would the ferts kill one at a time? How old were the fish? What type of shrimp and how many do you have. My shrimp tank is self sustaining. Plants grow great with no ferts and shrimp eat whatever grow on the plants .
F721A3E4-C49C-4A79-B7D2-36118F631471.jpegso many plants I have to remove plants monthly.

OP
J

JackieWitch

I use the flourish products. Strange the one at a time deaths. Why would the ferts kill one at a time? How old were the fish? What type of shrimp and how many do you have. My shrimp tank is self sustaining. Plants grow great with no ferts and shrimp eat whatever grow on the plants .View attachment 585820so many plants I have to remove plants monthly.
I know, right? weird. But since the deaths stopped with the fert absence that’s what I went with. I had tried everything before, parameters spot on, Paraguard, deworming, UV light purchased, and all of a sudden I’d see a bloated fish struggling to breath at the surface, no pineconing or anything else and was like noooo, here we go again. Hasn’t happened for a while now. So I have my fingers crossed. Don’t know how old the fish were. But it was the same bloatedness and fast breathing subtly starting 2 days after water change. I was even reading into fish TB even though there were no bent spines or anything. Could have been a coincidence, God knows, but the deaths stopped with the fertiliser.

86 ssinit

Fishlore Legend
I have had the same problem. In the course of a year maybe more I have lost a school of dwarf rainbows 2+ yrs old and most of a school of serpea tetras again 2+yrs old. All one at a time. I did install a uv a few months back but within the last 2 months lost the last of the rainbows. Rest of the fish are fine. I figure age and breeding. Never lost 2 together allways one at a time.

OP
J

JackieWitch

I have had the same problem. In the course of a year maybe more I have lost a school of dwarf rainbows 2+ yrs old and most of a school of serpea tetras again 2+yrs old. All one at a time. I did install a uv a few months back but within the last 2 months lost the last of the rainbows. Rest of the fish are fine. I figure age and breeding. Never lost 2 together allways one at a time.
How interesting... it all started with the dwarf rainbows, all in all I lost 6 like this,Then 2 rasbora, all one at a time, Same symptoms without any previous disease... I have had now 6 for the past 2 months who stayed alive and seem to be thriving.. Go figure! I did get the UV filter at roundabout the same time. So it’s probably the UV filter doing it’s job and the fert was superstition. But since I changed both at the same time I couldn’t be sure. I run the internal UV non stop now because I am scared of whatever it is coming back

Sheryl

I am no expert and fairly new to all this but I do 10 to 15% WC 3 to 4 times a week. Try to keep an every other day schedule. New water dosed with 6 drops of Prime per gallon and Pristine added at least once a week
(probably half for tank size). My tanks are all slightly overstocked but not horribly. All seems to be doing fine and tanks look nice and clean...I know this is not necessarily a sign of healthy tank though. All tanks are planted and filters and substrata changed and cleaned "pretty much" on schedule. If I miss, for any reason, a WC for more than 2 days, then I do 20 to 25% on that tank. No bubblers but all filters raised to shoot bubbles in all tanks. I have 3- 20 gallons (2 longs and 1 tall...all community), 1 ten (male guppies), 1- five gallon (guppy fry), 1-3.5 (2 female guppies), 1- .5 (just a few small snails and plants), and a 20 gallon barrel "pond" (2 Comets which are going into 40 gallon inground pond in spring, and a few Rosies).
I am glad to hear that is not too many WCs cause on those days I am very busy! But what a good feeling when I'm done! LOL

galaxy5

I don't see how somebody can say that water changes are necessary especially if you make your own food/don't add fertilizer but add compost. Adding fertilizer curdles the water. Let's say somebody smells urine in the water, then modifying the bubbler through a cone for just one day will mix the water, and the rest you just have water bubbling through a homemade airline with holes in it, and hot glue on the end. Also, using preferentially water from rain and small amounts of water from a planted tank to an aquarium until perfected helps, but in my experience unless you have an RO system water changes will kill your fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
hanra85
  • Question
Replies
Views
AmnScott
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fisch

Did You Know...

For those of us with MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) we need to be careful and not cross-contaminate our other tanks. Tanks and Plants wrote an article on:
Simple way to prevent cross contamination in your tanks

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom