Am I Overcrowded -- 29 Long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Edible Grapes, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Edible Grapes

Edible GrapesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I've lurked here a while and dug through the threads, but I'm a nervous nelly and wanted to get some information directly from you guys.

Question is simple: Am I overcrowded?

29 Gallon long.
    2 Dalmation Platys
    2 Sunset Platys (with the black tails)
    1 Common Pleco (yup...currently 3 inches, will be rehomed when he hits 5-6. got a home lined up, and hopefully replace him with a clown or bristle once he is gone.)
    5 Zebra Danios.

I was interested in picking up some cory catfish, but since they are best homed in groups (I was thinking 4?) I wanted to see what you guys thought.

If I don't have room for cory's do you have suggestions for alternative bottom cleaners?

2. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +603
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'd say you do have room for Corys. A group of 6 is the minimum number recommended

3. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,715
    Experience:
    1 year
    Cories aren't bottom cleaners. They stay to the bottom but they won't clean algae or anything. I would wait until you rehome the pleco to get cories.

4. mollybabes

mollybabesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +134
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My cories are always in groups of four and are always fine and live long and happy lives

In fact once we got 6 and the fought leaving us with 4 and they were fine

5. OP
    OP
    Edible Grapes

Ratings:
    +2
    You'd wait because of overcrowding? or because they will compete? or something else?

6. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,715
    Experience:
    1 year
    Plecos can sometimes be mean. Especially with a common, it's going to outgrow the cories fast. Plus plecos create a lot of waste.

7. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    I wouldn't say you're overstocked at all right now. You could definitely add cories and be fine. Corydora catfish are not algae cleaners, but they are bottom feeders. They'll pick up left over food on the bottom of the tank. So in a way, they are cleaners.

With the *plecos being mean* thing, they are. In my experience, the ancestrus species (BN, sailfin,) are more aggressive than the commons...However, I've found that they're really only aggressive towards others of their kind. So, you'll be fine if you only buy 1 BN or clown pleco (when you do decide to replace your common) but if you get two, they're likely to chase each other.

I have 1 common and 1 sailfin pleco in the same tank together, the sailfin chases my common (he's actually gotten him cornered before, and they've lock their fins outward while trying to jab the other...my common is about an inch larger than the sailfin), especially during feeding time.

and I have 2 BN plecos (M) and a clown pleco in a 45, The clown goes unnoticed, the two BN pleco's have territories (caves) on opposite sides of the tank, and when they come out (feeding) they chase eachother as well.

If you'd like to get another pleco simply because they're 'algae eaters', there is actually a better alternative that is a better algae eater and less messy than any pleco. Otocinclus do well for algae cleaning, though they're not much for personality (I really like plecos personally). If you buy multiple (recommended) they will 'school' or follow each other, similar to the cory cats.

8. OP
    OP
    Edible Grapes

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the detailed reply.
    I also really enjoy Plecos. I didn't know about BN until after I got the common but now that's the way I am leaning. Get my own personal Cthulhu for my tank.

9. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    Oh yes, BUT, only the males are real Cthulhu tentacle-y. And when they're babies it's harder to tell.

The males will have tentacles on their nose as well as their fins, the females will only have tentacles on the sides of their mouths. When they're babies, before their tentacles are really developed, you can try to tell by how the nose looks. A Male will have a more *V* shaped nose, Whereas a female will have a more *U* shaped nose. Its subtle, but the females will be a little fatter all around too, whereas the males will look a little more slender.

The long-fin BN plecos are really pretty too.

The Pleco is my fathers favorite fish, because to him, they almost resemble dragons. I'd like a watermelon or a royal someday.

10. OP
    OP
    Edible Grapes

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you everyone for your responses, y'all have been really helpful.