am i over stocked?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nickatx1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. N

Nickatx1 New Member Member

i have a planted 26 gallon with
    pair of blue rams
    2 angels
    3 peppered cory's
    and 5 cardinal tetra

Water parameters (all with liquid tests)
    ammonia 0-.25ppm (this is why i ask, it's constantly fluctuating but never above .25)
    nitrite 0
    nitrate0-.5 ppm
    pH 7.5

I've done research on the water supply where i live and i do have chloramines in my water. I use prime to condition.
    photo.jpg

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Yes. The minimum for one angel is a 29 gallon IMO. So two need around a 40 . I would rehome these or get a bigger tank. If you decide to rehome i would up your corys and tetras to 10.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Once the angels are larger you would be, but right now you're fine. I would, however, remove one of the angels now, and add some more cardinals :)

4. allaboutfish

I would add more corys before i added more cardinals.
    Edit: also does the ammonia show up just after the water change or throughout the week and what test kit are you using?

5. Akari_32

Oh that too. Forgot about them.

6. OP
    OP
    N

thanks for the input. there doesnt seem to be a pattern to the readings. i know ammonia readings will be off after a water change which is why i mentioned the chloramines. i usually dont test the day of the water change. do you feel the angels should be removed because of water quality or because the habitat is physically too small. also why would one add more cory's before cardinals? personal preference or something to do with clean up maybe?

7. OP
    OP
    N

im using an api freshwater master kit.

8. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

Cories are happiest in groups of 6 or more, they're super social fish and their personality shines more when you have more. I would do the water testing just before a water change, that way it's had 24 hrs or more to sit since the last.

9. Akari_32

25 is a bit on the small side for even just one angel. Cichlids like to thave their space, and can become aggressive if they feel too cramped.

10. OP
    OP
    N

thanks for all the help. i'll look into finding new homes for the angels. ive put so much time energy and heart into this tank it will be hard to see them go. but it sounds like it is for the best. thank you for the tips regarding times to test. i dont know why it never occurred to me to test just before a water change.

11. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, there's already a pair of rams in there anyway, just let them be the centerpiece.

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with the others. The angels will def outgrow the tank, they get a lot bigger then most of us imagine. The rams will make great centerpieces though. I would up cardinals before cory. Cory can cope in smaller schools a lot better then most tetra.

13. L

Libelle New Member Member

I have to disagree. If you want to keep them I do not see any reason not to. Watch them as they grow. I do not recommend putting anything that is more agressive than the angels as once they mature there will not be much getting out of the way room. The same is true for your rams as most do not stand up to others picking on them. A friend of mine has a 29 gallon with two mature angels and some long fin goldfish and everyone gets along just fine and the angels are thriving.

14. allaboutfish

Your not even supposed to keep goldfish and angelfish together.

15. L

As long as you keep your water no more than 24c and choose tank mates that will not nip at them it is all good.

16. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

It really isn't. Those fish shouldn't be in 29gal tanks. Any of them. Maybe 1 angel at the most. They are not compatible in temperature or parameter. They have extremely different dietary and environmental needs as well. Angels do well in moderately planted tanks, goldfish eat and destroy a lot of plants.

17. L

I have personally kept fantail goldfish along with tropical fish with no issues. I have read many articles on why goldfish and tropical fish do not mix. Supplement the goldfish or tropical fish with their proper diet, keep your filtration/water changes, tank mates and temp in check and they will be happy to live together.

18. OP
    OP
    N

thank you to everyone for the input. both of the angels are less that 4in right now so im hoping i have a bit of time getting them a new home. Im not even sure where to begin with that. im sure that's a whole separate post.

19. OP
    OP
    N

thank you for the second opinion. :).

20. L

Any time! You should have about 6 more months before your angels become too big for the current tank. But you can keep them too.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice