Am I OVER Cleaning?

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi!

I do a 10% cleaning once a week (4 litres in a 10 gallon). I siphon the gravel and rinse out the sponge in my filter in the tank water.

since I got my shrimps, I haven't been seeing much debris in my siphon bucket (fish poops and old food). AND one has molted already, which I take as a good sign.

I was wondering if it were necessary to vacuum the gravel and rinse the sponge every time I change the water?

I think I may be over doing it, I'm also 98% percent free of algae in my tank (I have a slight dusting on one wall of the tank) which is kind of worrisome for my zebra snail. (in addition to the shrimp, and the zebra snail and the minI ramshorn snails, I have a MTS in there somewhere too that I see once and a while).

thanks a bunch.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I change 16 litres out of my (roughly) 10 gallon each week, vaccuming the gravel and rinsing the sponge each time in dirty water. However, I think my situation could be a little different. My tank has been set up years, so I'm not too worried about overvaccuming the gravel. Also, the sponge in my filter is the only means of mechanical filtration, there is no filter floss, so it doubles to catch the particles and grow BB.

If you like, you can vacuum one half one week, one half the other. I do that, move one tank half of the decor one week, then the other the next.

Do you mean you're worried your snail is not getting enough to eat? I have a mystery snail, and a few times a week I drop in a few bits of alage wafer for my snail and bottom dwellers. I also anchor down a piece of zuicchinI or cucumber once a week overnight for him to eat. In a new tank, there isn't going to be a lot of stuff for them to eat, so if I were you I'd put in some little bits of algae wafer a few times a week after lights off (so the tetras leave them alone).

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I personally think that you are over cleaning. I change more water than you a week about 25%, I gravel vac every time, but only part of the tank at a time. I don't rinse my filter hardly at all, maybe once every 3 months or so, or if there is a flow problem in the filter.

Also for making sure your shrimp and snails get enough to eat, I put in a sinking bottome feeder pellet once a week and then I also feed squash or zuchinni, but I don't weigh it down, if you put it in a bowl with some water into the microwave for 3-4 min it will sink, this also makes it softer and easier to eat.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kupcake said:
I personally think that you are over cleaning. I change more water than you a week about 25%, I gravel vac every time, but only part of the tank at a time. I don't rinse my filter hardly at all, maybe once every 3 months or so, or if there is a flow problem in the filter.

Also for making sure your shrimp and snails get enough to eat, I put in a sinking bottome feeder pellet once a week and then I also feed squash or zuchinni, but I don't weigh it down, if you put it in a bowl with some water into the microwave for 3-4 min it will sink, this also makes it softer and easier to eat.
Lol are you talking about the shrimp or nerites? Cause the shrimp will love it, but if it is the snails, it's not going to work.

I try to feed my nerites peas, cucumber, and zucchini. Although they love diatoms and algae, they never ever eat veggies. Bad snails.

Instead, they grave on my diatom-covered front glass. If you look at the fish tank straight on, you hardly notice the algae, except for maybe some snail "chew marks" if you look really closely (caused by the scrapind radula), but if you look from one side of the tank at an angle, it's like the entire glass is brown.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Elodea said:
Lol are you talking about the shrimp or nerites? Cause the shrimp will love it, but if it is the snails, it's not going to work.

I try to feed my nerites peas, cucumber, and zucchini. Although they love diatoms and algae, they never ever eat veggies. Bad snails.

Instead, they grave on my diatom-covered front glass. If you look at the fish tank straight on, you hardly notice the algae, except for maybe some snail "chew marks" if you look really closely (caused by the scrapind radula), but if you look from one side of the tank at an angle, it's like the entire glass is brown.
I don't own nerites. I have briggs and shrimp. I was just offering a suggestion on how to sink the veggies listed by blanching them (microwaving in water). Nerites will eat the sinking pellets though, atleast the kind that I feed because they are algae wafers.

djedhi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wow! thanks for the advice. I gave 'em a zucchinI the other day and the shrimp loved it, the snail- not at all. I just got some algae wafers today and the shrimp are fighting over it, but the snails haven't found it yet.

I can see the bite marks on the algae and it's pretty hilarious.

I don't have any bacterial blooms after I clean, thankfully.

thanks again!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my nerites must have listened to my lecture on getting enough veggies, cos they love zucchini! I have to actually take them off in order to remove the zuc. lol the mysteries also love it. i've not tried it with the shrimp.

the snails love wafers.....poor nerites don't stand a chance against the lightning fast briggs though. they sniff em out the second it hits the water!

ps. I also don't clean my media very much. I just did a super rinse of a sponge in the aquaclear....the output was decreased a lot. after 4 months i'd guess so! filter runs better now arty0011: also, once a week I do a 25-35% change....usually with vacs, but if I skip a week(with vacs) it doesn't hurt. biweekly is ok imo. but weekly is good too.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't clean that much. I advocate 25% weekly water changes but just vacuum as needed, same with cleaning the filter if the flow is starting to slow down then clean it, but leave it alone otherwise.

I use sand in most of my tanks so its easy to spot clean without disturbing much of anything.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do 2 30%-40% changes in my 38g a week but I am a bit overstocked. Also I only do a gravel vac every 3 or 4 weeks.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Cleaning and Maintenance section of the forum.

Over cleaning can be just as dangerous as not cleaning/doing maintenance at all. Sometimes a simple water change and nothing else is best. Just because you may relax a bit with the cleaning, doesn't mean you shouldn't do a water change.

I do my filter maintenance once a month. I add filter floss (quilting batting material from WalMart) to the bottoms of all of my Aqua Clear filters. This keeps my bio media on top of it much cleaner. I remove the floss and replace it with fresh once a month. Keep in mind my tanks are well established and I have tons of bio media to keep my tank cycled, and I don't have to depend on the floss for biological purposes. Too, by removing the floss it helps to keep my nitrates under control by removing the largest collection of waste, along with frequent water changes.

I do water changes every 5 days but that doesn't mean I do tank maintenance every 5 days. For my 265g I change 25 gallon each time for a total of 150 gallon every month, almost half
the tank. By breaking it up with changes every 5 days helps to keep my water parameters where they need to be.

Note: Not everyone does as I've mentioned above. I do not recommend removing biological media in tanks that aren't very well established. If my tanks were new, this floss would not be changed until it was falling apart.

The only time I remove my filters from the tank to clean the impellers is when I see a reduced flow, output. I vacuum my tanks, 1/2 at a time, wait 2 weeks to do the other side and I do this process every 4 to 6 weeks.

When you vacuum depends on how much you feed, the amount of stock you have, if you have large waste producers, the amount and quality of filtration that you have and so on. I can crawl into my tank stand and look up at the bottom of the tank to determine when I need to vacuum. This will vary with each member as to their maintenance routine. As you become more familiar with your tank and fish, you'll learn what needs to be done and when.

Keep an eye on your water parameters.

Thanks!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads