Am I over cleaning my hob filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Srrman, Jul 17, 2015.

1. S

Srrman New Member Member

When I clean my aquaclear 30 and 50 I thoroughly clean all the parts with a brush and completely rinse the sponge all done in the sink. The bio I lightly rinse with tank water. Both filters are on a 29 gallon tank and get dirty in just 2-3 weeks. Am I cleaning away bb?

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

You might be, I almost never touch anything but my intake tube and the impeller/turbine thing to keep it clean of gunk. Buy squeezing out your sponge filled with bacteria then rinsing it with tap that probably contains clorine/chloramines then you are risking your bacteria being killed every time.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Srrman New Member Member

Thanks for the response . The sponge gets very gunked up so maybe clean it with tank or r/o water? And the slick film on the parts? Just rinse? No brush?

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Clean it with tank water, not RO. and I would lightly rinse, don't squeeze it out or brush it. if you get a slimy film just wipe it with a washcloth. No need to disassemble it and scrub it clean.

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Media can be squeezed clean, in their own water. This will not dislodge bacteria. You can scrub the parts of you want to but it's not necessary if it's not interfering with flow.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Srrman New Member Member

Thank you both for the advice/information. Clearly I have been cleaning away a good part of my good bacteria. This might explain some of the little issues I have been having with this tank.

7. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

What hampalong said...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice