Am I on Track???????????

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Bill K, Jul 25, 2015.

1. B

Bill K New Member Member

I'm using a "fishless cycle". I've been up and running about 50 days now. My ammonia drops to about .5ppm in about 24 hours. I bring it up 4-5ppm. Nitrites are off the chart as well as the Nitrates. I'm going on 2 months and getting annoyed.
    I'm I on the right track or can I be doing something wrong? When will they (if ever) drop to zero? Also tank is in a dark room. and temp is raised to 86.4F

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I would not be raising your ammonia to 4-5 per day after you water change. Bringing it up to 1.0 per day at this middle phase of your cycle is enough. Also, are you using a bacteria in a bottle product like Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability? You can add double what they say and add it in once or twice a day and it will help establish the nitrite reducing bacteria and finish your cycle up much quicker.

3. n

nicole4434 Well Known Member Member

In a 10 gallon tank you shouldn't be bringing your ammonia up to 5ppm , the most you should be raising the ammonia to when it drops is 2ppm as there isn't many fish you can keep in the 10 gallon, and once it can deal with 2ppm in 24 hours you know it can deal with the 4ppm in 48 hours as bacteria doubles in 24 hours

4. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Man... My 10g got its ammonia up to 4ppm all on its own. (Well, I stuck a glo light in there but I doubt it produced that much ammonia in a day). I haven't checked since yesterday, but I think my plants will help. On my 38 it only took a few days to cycle as I was adding so so so many plants. So that's another suggestion. You said there no light on it, so I would say maybe just leave the room lights on or something and get Java moss. That stuff is super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

For a fishless cycle with ammonia, I recommend keeping the ammonia level at 4ppm until nitrites appear. Then keep the ammonia at 2ppm until nitrites zero out. Once you have 0ppm nitrites, some nitrates and are processing all 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours, you are cycled.

Keep in mind that too high of a nitrite level can actually stall the cycle. So in your nitrites are off the charts, I would recommend a big water change or two to get those nitrites down to about 2ppm. Then if the start to rise above 4 or 5 going forward, do a water change to get them back down.

I suspect if you follow this advice you will be cycled pretty quickly.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

I have Dr TIm's "One and Only" should I start adding that?

7. CindiL

Definitely :)

8. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

Ok, so I did a big water change (60%??) last night. Got ammonia to 2ppm, still had high nitrites and high nitrates. Added Dr. Tim's "One and only". Just tested the water again (just about 24 hrs) raised ammonia back from 0 to 2 ppm. Nitrites and nitrates still high (about 5ppm and about 40ppm) Added Dr. Tim's again. Am I on the right track???????? Getting fed up.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You need to do some more water changes to get those nitrites and nitrates down. Bacteria products don't work when your initial levels are high to begin with.

10. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

How long should I wait between changes?

11. Dom90

Maybe an hour or two, gives time for the nitrite/nitrate molecules to evenly disperse.

12. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

Wow I didn't realize so soon, thanks.

13. Dom90

How much are you changing out each time?

14. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

Last night about 60-70%

15. CindiL

You're on the right track. Especially because you are seeing a lot of nitrates now. The nitrite phase is weird and will suddenly drop to 0. If it was my tank, I'd dose ammonia to 1.0 during this phase just to save myself all the water changes! Wasn't this a 10g? I think 1.0 would be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

Yep, it's a ten gallon.

17. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

If you are using Dr Tim's One & Only, I would recommend you dose according to Dr Tim's recommendations. I believe he has some video's on his website explaining how to fishless cycle with One & Only

18. OP
    OP
    B

Bill K New Member Member

Did another big water change this morning. 0ppm ammonia, 2.0ppm nitrites, 10ppm nitrate. I'll bring ammonia up to 1.0? Should I add Dr Tim's one and only again?

19. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

How I use 1-in-Only : I set up a tank, leave it with filter running(to get debris stirred up by new substrate/etc) and then wait until I get fish and right before I start acclimating I put in the 1-in-only. This way I don't have to worry about feeding the bacteria myself and can just have the fish feed it with poop from the start. I'd watch Dr. Tim's YouTube videos(he personally does his important videos) about his products if you haven't already to make an informed decision and get advice from the great man himself. I played the how to video as I was doing it, so it was like Dr. Tim was right there helping. Also his website has great articles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice