10 Gallon Tank Am I on the right track with cycling? - Page 2

djas

Hi all,

I have a 10g tank being cycled as of May 3. It's now May 11 and I am not sure of my progress. Here is how it was as a few hours ago:

20210510_224032.jpg

What you see in there is Mopani wood. I did NOT boil it. I rinsed if off with really warm water as I did with everything else (substrate, decor, etc.)

After I put in some of the API quickstart... I started the ammonia doses.

Ammonia Log:
  • May 3, 2:03 AM, 10 drops
  • May 3, 8:13 PM, 20 drops (making up for the wrong calculations)
  • May 10, 2:02 PM, 32 drops
I am using Dr. Tim's Ammonia (4 drops per US Gallon). My tank water volume is around 30L (subtracting substrate and decor)

Here's my water test results on May 3, after the 2nd drops at 8:30 PM:

May 3

20210503_202859.jpg

and here's May 10, as of a few hours ago:

May 10

20210510_135812.jpg

I think this looks good. Not sure if I am on the right track however...

mattgirl

sorry about that, will be more cognizant in the future -- thanks
You may have missed it but I edited my last post and added more information.
I type rather slow :D

Upvote 0

djas

As long as it goes no higher than this I would skip the water change today. Let's give the bacteria a chance to clear it out. You are still very early in the cycle so just keep testing and dong water changes as needed. As long as ammonia plus nitrites is well below one you can skip the water change that day. If they are getting up near one get them back down with a water change.
Readings as of a few minutes ago:

1621398811859.png

Seems like tomorrow morning I'll expect to be doing a WC? Nitrites have been consistent since this morning.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am unable to tell what your pH reading is. Which of the 2 tests that come in the kit are you using? First we use the pH. If it pegs the chart out by being really bright blue then we use the high pH test because it is above 7.6.

Upvote 0

djas

I am unable to tell what your pH reading is. Which of the 2 tests that come in the kit are you using? First we use the pH. If it pegs the chart out by being really bright blue then we use the high pH test because it is above 7.6.
pH is around 7. Using regulsr range pH
New reading:

1621434132283.png

Seems like Nitrite moved slight up to .50? I honestly cannot tell sometimes. Time for a 50% WC?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

pH is around 7. Using regulsr range pH
New reading:

1621434132283.png

Seems like Nitrite moved slight up to .50? I honestly cannot tell sometimes. Time for a 50% WC?
I think you are right. Nitrite does look to be .5 so yes, time for a 50% water change.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sophiegray
Replies
Views
HKsai
  • Question
Replies
Views