Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Am I On The Right Modding Track For Quietflow Hob Filter? Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Nickguy5467, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

I finally bought some aquaclear foam sponges to mod my quiet flow 30 and 50. I applied a sponge in the pocket where the intake is. I intend to stack some more sponges where the grid is. i just thought for now it would be better to let the first sponge build up in bio bacteria before taking the main filter out and replacing it with new sponges and that blue spongie like stuff i had laying around and just put it behind it a few days ago. just wondering if im doing this right and not making it worse. my friend thinks i might be because "well the manufacturer blah blah.....overflowing etc" . and i thought asking the experts about my progress would help..

also im having trouble getting that sponge all thte way to the bottom of the intake area. should be all the way to the bottom to block water there? im using the aquaclear 75 sponges that i cut in half but they are only like 5 1/2" long while the filter's 7" deep
    thank you pros

IMG_20190313_202906.jpg

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

There's not really a wrong way to modify a filter, as long as you have cycled media in it you are good to go.

I have my HOB stuffed with filter floss first, and then the media bag, and a rigid piece of plastic to slow down the waterfall just a bit.
    You can put more than one bag of something into a filter, just refrain from stuffing too much inside which can cause the filter to overflow and decrease the flow rate.

The sponge doesn't have to be all the way to the bottom.

3. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

cool . thank you i was worried about it not "filtering" properly by letting water go by, eventually i will replace that plastic biogrid with spongues and biomax, as soo as i feel hat the sponge in there has collected enough live bacteria, i am using two filters though. so i guess i wouldnt mater as long as one is running while i mod the other.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

this is what i ended up with. that half a sponge near the intake, and then 2 sponges in the main filter area with biomax in netting on top , going by many posts i read . i dont have to worry about carbon as long as im not medicating my main tank correct? looks like water is still coming out of the overflow a bit but its still not setting off that LED thing IMG_20190314_200523.jpg