Am I Ok To Add Fish Now

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RookieTank, Apr 15, 2018.

1. RookieTankValued MemberMember

I dosed ammonia up to the picture below 0.5-0.75 and 20 hours later the results are 0 and 0. I am planning on doing a massive water change (+/- 90%) and add fish today, only starting with 2 or 3. Angelfish, Rainbow shark, and one my last kid picks out. I have already adjusted the heaters back down to 78.5, am I forgetting anything else before I add them?

Attached Files:

2. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

When did you start the cycle?

3. OP
    OP
    R

RookieTankValued MemberMember

Mid February :(

4. Ryan P

Nice I thought it was something recent, I'd say your pretty much cycled. But what can you do also is try to dose ammonia upto 1ppm see if it goes to 0 after a day. not necessary but gives you more confidence. Also I'm not sure if you have any access to Seachem Stability. I use that everytime I add new fish, again not neccesary but just a safety precaution.

Just wondering why were' you planning to do upto 90% WC? I think 50-60 should be enough.

5. OP
    OP
    R

6. Ryan P

Check your water source maybe there's nitrates there to begin with. You might get a minicycle if you change that much water. I use stability every weekly water chagne or when I introduce new fish/es

7. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I think you are fine to do a 90% water change- I disagree that it may cause a mini cycle. I would consider adding one fish at a time to allow your B.B. to adjust. I don’t know how big your tank is, but I think both of those fish need a fair amount of space. Good luck - I am no stocking expert.

8. OP
    OP
    R

I have a 46 gallon tank, so it should be fine.

9. Frozen One

Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Changing water won’t cause you to have a mini cycle because beneficial bacteria grow on solid surfaces, they don’t float in water. I agree with @Mom2some in adding 1 fish at a time so you don’t shock your beneficial bacteria.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice