Am I nearly cycled?

Highlander88

Me again! I feel like I'm always bothering y'all! This was my results today in my son's tank that already have fish in it. If you haven't seen my other questions then quick of it is I was told the tank was cycled and we bought fish only to find out a week later it wasn't cycled.

So I have amonia and nitrate which confused me because I thought nitrates would be present when amonia would be gone. The nitrite was at 0 and the pH looked somewhere between the two bottom colors. Does this all mean that the tank is almost cycled? Or am I just in the middle of it? I have never seen the nitrite test anything but light blue. I'm using prime regularly with water changes.

Thanks for any advice given!

Attachments

• PXL_20210421_134621168.jpg
    PXL_20210421_134621168.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 25

EntirelyEm

that looks like a lot of ammonia, are the fish okay ? I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but I'd do a water change !

Upvote 0

Highlander88

that looks like a lot of ammonia, are the fish okay ? I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but I'd do a water change !

The fish are totally fine and I'm doing water changes daily with prime and stability. I even did a 100% water change a couple weeks ago. I don't understand how it's so high all the time. I can't get it to go away. It's driving me insane!

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Don't worry, you aren't bothering anyone. If the nitrites are 0, that means there are enough nitrite-eating bacteria that nitrite doesn't show. When the ammonia gets to 0, you can consider yourself fully cycled, but I add a full dose of ammonia. When everything is 0 except for the nitrates, you are 1000% cycled.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

You really need to get and keep the ammonia down as close to zero as possible since fish are in this tank. The cycle is important but the health of your fish has to be your first priority. change out half the water now. Run the test again in a few hours. If you are still seeing ammonia change out 50% of it again. Once you get it down keep it down with water changes.

Upvote 0

Highlander88

You really need to get and keep the ammonia down as close to zero as possible since fish are in this tank. The cycle is important but the health of your fish has to be your first priority. change out half the water now. Run the test again in a few hours. If you are still seeing ammonia change out 50% of it again. Once you get it down keep it down with water changes.

I did a water change right after I got these results. So I will test again later. No matter how many water changes I do I still have high amonia. I even did 3 water changes in 1 day and still got amonia results. I just don't get it

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I did a water change right after I got these results. So I will test again later. No matter how many water changes I do I still have high amonia. I even did 3 water changes in 1 day and still got amonia results. I just don't get it
Have you run the ammonia test on your tap water?

Upvote 0

Highlander88

Have you run the ammonia test on your tap water?
I hadn't but this is the result of me doing it just now

Attachments

• PXL_20210421_145151712.jpg
    PXL_20210421_145151712.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

mattgirl

I hadn't but this is the result of me doing it just now
This tells us some of the ammonia in the tank is coming from your tap water. You should be able to get the ammonia in the tank down to at most the level of the tap water. This looks to be about .5 to me. Am I seeing it right?

If you would take a few minutes to fill out this template it should help me understand where you are in your cycle. Nitrogen Cycle Template | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Forum | 494741

Upvote 0

Highlander88

Y
This tells us some of the ammonia in the tank is coming from your tap water. You should be able to get the ammonia in the tank down to at most the level of the tap water. This looks to be about .5 to me. Am I seeing it right?

If you would take a few minutes to fill out this template it should help me understand where you are in your cycle. Nitrogen Cycle Template | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Forum | 494741
I absolutely can. Would you mind check back later for a reply? I have to go pick up my son from school and I'm actually working just now (I babysit children) so I may need to wait till this evening to sit and answer the questions but I promise I will!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Y

I absolutely can. Would you mind check back later for a reply? I have to go pick up my son from school and I'm actually working just now (I babysit children) so I may need to wait till this evening to sit and answer the questions but I promise I will!
Not a problem. I am here off and on almost all day every day.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Biagio
Replies
Views
Baasy