Help Am I in trouble with this stand setup?

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have this 40g long (48in x 17in x 12.5in) setting atop these two stands. The stands can easily hold the weight, and I made sure they were level before filling the tank with water. The thing is I've been seeing some posts/videos of people doing similar things (2 stands/1 tank), but they always have a sheet of plywood or something in between the stands and the tank. I don't have that. It's just the stands and then my tank. I understand the risk here is not the stands, but the bottom glass cracking. The bottom glass isn't actually in contact with the stands, the black outer rim is what's making contact. There's space between bottom glass and bottom of the black trim. My rationale was that since they are level, the space between the two stands is so small, and the trim is what's making contact, it shouldn't be an issue.

Am I wrong though?

Attachments

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it would depend on how precisely the two parts are matched. If they are not matched perfectly, it seems possible to me that there could be some stress that might compromise joints. The benefit of the plywood is that it would distribute any variations and reduce the risk that any stress would be concentrated in a way that might affect the structural integrity of the tank.

I do not know how much tolerance tanks have for such deviations and I do not know how much difference there is between the two parts of your stand.

I would add something for piece of mind. I would be worried about a leak and waking up some morning or coming back from being out of town for a few days to find a wet floor, empty tank and dead fish.

RDcompton03

Reaction score
If the weight is evenly distributed across the two table you should be good. Checking to ensure the water level in the tank is even at both ends, as well as making sure that there are no gaps between the tank bottom rim and the tables, should give you a good idea if you are ok. The other issue which it hard to tell from the picture is just is the tables and legs are strong enough to support the weight. Water weighs around 8lbs a gallon so if thats a 50 gallon tank your looking at approx 400 lbs.

OP
gray_matter16

gray_matter16

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
RDcompton03 said:
The other issue which it hard to tell from the picture is just is the tables and legs are strong enough to support the weight. Water weighs around 8lbs a gallon so if thats a 50 gallon tank your looking at approx 400 lbs.
added some more photos of different angles. They are both very sturdy stands. I've had 30 gallon tanks on them individually with no problems at all. So I thought that between the two of them they could handle a 40 long.

I think at the very least I'm going to get some plywood cut and underneath it. And then be passively looking for a single stand. Sure this might work, but I tend to think in worst-case-scenarios and I would just feel better with less a risk.

How does anyone feel about DIY cinder block stands?

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
You might consider cutting a sheet of plywood, or foam insulation to put under the tank. It will insure there isn't any weak spots where it's uneven, or off a bit.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Spanning the gap with a piece of plywood certainly won't hurt anything, but I don't think you need it.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are the two stands on carpet?

If so, then my suggestion is to place a sheet of plywood between the tank and 2 stands.

My reasoning is that each side of the tank wont have an exact 50/50 weight distribution on the two stands.

To me, even the slightest imbalance will cause one of the stands to sink either more or less than the other stand. The difference may not be perceptible, though will cause one side of the tank frame and glass to be stressed more than the other side.

A cut piece of plywood between the stands and tank is cheap insurance in my opinion.

New Threads