Am I Going To Over Populate My Tank?

Rainy day
How big is the tank? Also, what kind of pleco and cory are they?

Danthefishlover135
It's a 20 gallon and a cory catfish and common pleco

david1978
Do you have a plan for the angels and pleco when they grow up?

Danthefishlover135
No, when I got them the guy who sold me them said that they should be fine for there life span,.but I have a 29 gallon I could use if I have to in the future

david1978
3 angels would be too much for a 29 as well. The common pleco gets huge (18") long. For future reference seriouslyfish is a good site to double check your fishs needs and tank size.

Danthefishlover135
Ok thank you I'll probably try to sell it. Also when I got the pleco the person who is the owner told me the pleco only get 3-4 inches so maybe it's not a common pleco, do you know what I might have

xs2man
Probably need a picture to help identify it.

david1978
Could be a bristlenose. Do you have a pic. They usually are around $8-$10 were a common pleco is usually under $5.

Danthefishlover135
So is it bad that I have 3 angles in my 20

Are they the kind of fish that will ajust to the tank size

david1978
There are no fish that will adjust to tank size. That's called stunting when they quit growing on the outside but their insides keep growing and it very detrimental to their health.

Nataku
No fish really adjusts to tank size. Stunting occurs if a fish is placed in a tank which is too small, which drastically shortens lifespan.
A mated pair of angels could be the only occupants of a 20high. But three is not that and even two if they aren't mates will likely end badly as they mature.

FlipFlopFishFlake
So is it bad that I have 3 angles in my 20

Are they the kind of fish that will ajust to the tank size
No fish will "adjust" to an improper tank size. In addition, 3 angels in any size tank is bad, one will almost always end up being ganged up on. 1 angel is really the most you can put unless they are one of the only tank inhabitants. Remove 2 angels, the cory cat (it needs a school) the pleco, (if it's a common pleco) and after all of that, you can add the kuhlI loaches and possibly a group of other fish. Also, is this a 20 long or high? 20 longs really don't have enough height for angels imo.

Demeter
I think it would be best to either rehome all the angels and get something more suitable for the tank size, or set up that 29gal where you would really only be able to keep one angel as an adult. To keep 3 angels I'd have no less than a 55gal tank, these are not small fish and their height requires tall tanks. I'm sure a groups of 3-5 honey gourami would love a 20gal long.

Before adding another school of bottom dwellers, I'd up the corydoras. Cory cats need to be kept in groups, preferably of their own species. I do not think a 20gal has enough space for both a school of corries and a school of kuhlis.

FlipFlopFishFlake
I think it would be best to either rehome all the angels and get something more suitable for the tank size, or set up that 29gal where you would really only be able to keep one angel as an adult. To keep 3 angels I'd have no less than a 55gal tank, these are not small fish and their height requires tall tanks. I'm sure a groups of 3-5 honey gourami would love a 20gal long.

Before adding another school of bottom dwellers, I'd up the corydoras. Cory cats need to be kept in groups, preferably of their own species. I do not think a 20gal has enough space for both a school of corries and a school of kuhlis.
Plus corydoras tend to out compete the shy, nocturnal kuhlI loaches.

Demeter
Plus corydoras tend to out compete the shy, nocturnal kuhlI loaches.

I've never tried the 2 together but just by watching my black loaches eat and comparing that to the corydoras, I'd say it depends on the situation. The loaches are in a densely planted tank and as soon as they smell food they are zooming around. The corydoras, while also in a planted tank, are more shy of people than my loaches but more active when looking for food.

FlipFlopFishFlake
I've never tried the 2 together but just by watching my black loaches eat and comparing that to the corydoras, I'd say it depends on the situation. The loaches are in a densely planted tank and as soon as they smell food they are zooming around. The corydoras, while also in a planted tank, are more shy of people than my loaches but more active when looking for food.
\
That's definitely true, fish behave in different ways depending on their environment, I shouldn't of just generalized it

Rainy day

Seconding that, I've got a bunch of nice, fat, hotdog looking kuhlis in with my corys.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
slayer980
Replies
Views
SusannaBanana
  • Question
Replies
Views
DuaneV
Top Bottom