Am I getting the right numbers of fish for my tank?/How many shrimp?

Olivia Janae

So I'm planning on getting these for my 60 gallon tank that should be done cycling soon.
Do you think these numbers are correct? Will these fish get along well?

Panda Cory (6)
Albino Cory (6)
Galaxy Rasbora (8)
Rummy nose tetra (14)
Bolivian Ram (2)

What's more: I want to get the assorted Neocaridina davidi shrimp on the Aquahuna site, just for a fun splash of color. The set comes with 10. But I also want to get a 10 pack of Amano shrimp (says they are small, but I know they get pretty big).
Between these and the Cory, is there too much happening on the bottom of my tank and not enough happening mid/the top?
What would you recommend I get?

Rhyu

I don't think the Cory and shrimp will be too busy. Not sure if you know, but if you keep multiple colors of Neocardina together they can crossbreed usually resulting in "wild type" coloring that's pale/brown/clear. Some people really like their wild types too, but if you're hoping for generations of brightly colored shrimp you might find it hit and miss.

I'd probably give each school of Cory at least one additional member as they don't often school together with different species. That said 6 is fine for them but I like to have a few more myself, especially in that size.

I've never kept a Ram but they might try to eat your shrimp. Someone else will have more experience than me there. If you're getting a pair they might get territorial when breeding with all those cory cats though.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Do you have a picture of your tank? I think 10 amano is a good number, but with only 10 neocaridina in a 60, you will very rarely every see them. I have seen 10 completely disappear in a 5 gallon with just a few rocks. As long as you have some planted/rock areas, I think there will be plenty of space for the corys as well as quite a few more neocaridina.

They will breed but not sure how high the survival rate will be of shrimplets in a community set up like that, plus you will start to lose color over the generations by having them mixed.

I will say that I think having that many corys plus two rams could make the bottom a little crowded though. I would maybe cut down to just one group of corys at 6-8 in number.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

Do you have a picture of your tank? I think 10 amano is a good number, but with only 10 neocaridina in a 60, you will very rarely every see them. I have seen 10 completely disappear in a 5 gallon with just a few rocks. As long as you have some planted/rock areas, I think there will be plenty of space for the corys as well as quite a few more neocaridina.

They will breed but not sure how high the survival rate will be of shrimplets in a community set up like that, plus you will start to lose color over the generations by having them mixed.

I will say that I think having that many corys plus two rams could make the bottom a little crowded though. I would maybe cut down to just one group of corys at 6-8 in number.

It’s almost entirely empty at the moment. What kind of plants would you recommend? And how many shrimp would you say for the size?

I'm honestly not totally sold on the Rams. I just don't really know what else to get!

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

It’s almost entirely empty at the moment. What kind of plants would you recommend? And how many shrimp would you say for the size?
I am not one to recommend plants, I kill most of mine! Kind of comes down to your pH, if you want to dose fertilizers and CO2 or not. There are some very beautiful low tech planted tanks out there. Typically the more popular plant categories for that would be anubias, aponogetos, crypts, ferns, swords, grasses like sagittaria, mosses and a few stem plants like pearl weed or water wisteria. I would check out something like BucePlant.com - Aquascaping and Aquarium Plants Super Store I believe they have plant packages that could get you a nice mix of things.

Ball park of around 50 shrimp would be totally fine and look nice, but that starts to get expensive, if you put the group of 10 in first and give them 1-2 months... your original 10 could easily be 10x that number.

Rams are absolutely beautiful and should completely ignore the corys, they would be a good addition, just might get crowded on the bottom if you stuck with the original 2 groups of corys plus the Rams. Always worth a shot though!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
babykitten
  • Question
Replies
Views
dbaldwin
  • Question
Replies
Views