Am I finally getting there?

1. orbelina Member Member

Morning fishloreers!! Just a quick question about brown algae...I noticed a couple of days ago some brown spots on the ornament in the middle of my 60litre tank (it has some silk leaves attached to it this is where the spots are)...
    This morning I noticed some on the filter and the plant at the side of the filter (again a fake plant)...I did a search on here and found out about diatoms? Is this what this is? And if it is does this mean my cycle might actually be nearly done? I have been doing regular water changes for ages now and am really hoping its almost done!! :D I'll try and get a pic if I can

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

More than likely what you are seeing are Diatoms.

Without knowing your readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, can't really say if you are close to being cycled or not.

To my knowledge, Diatoms and cycling really do not have anything in common.

Ken

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

But they are common in newly cycled tanks, but I don't know why?

4. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I am with aquarist48 and jdhef on this. From what I could tell from the pictures I am going with you have diatoms. Diatoms can show up in a tank just about any time but are most common in new tanks. They will normally go away on their own if you keep up on your tank maintenance.

When I clean plastic plants I normally soak them in a 1/10 bleach water solution for a while and then rinse them off extremely well with tap water several times. Before returning them to the tank I then soak them in a bucket of water treated with an over dose of Prime. This will kill off just about anything that is growing on the plastic plants like diatoms or algae.

Now I have never soaked silk plants in bleach water so I am not sure that it wouldn’t remove the color so I would be really skittish about doing it because you could end up with white or extremely faded plants. Maybe someone with experience in that area will chime in.

The only way to know for sure how your cycle process is going is by looking at the most current water parameter test results. Test results on ammonia and nitrites need to be zero and you need to have around 10 to 20 on the nitrate test result to have a cycled tank.