Am I feeding my fish well???

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Sevaer13, Dec 26, 2012.

1. S

Sevaer13 New Member Member

Hello. I have 2 fancy goldfish, and feed them a mix of Omega one pellets, TetraFin Goldfish Flakes, and occasional cut up carrots. My questions are...

1. how much of each food should i feed them?
    2. how often should i feed them?
    3. With the food I give them are they reciving a good nutritional balance?(If not what should i do to fix this?)

2. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Your on the right track don`t over feed them 5 min max of food use the back of a plastic spoon as a dose,
    max 2 times daily, separate the food into day`s don`t give them everything in one,

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore -

The vegetables I'd suggest once to twice a week. On the regular Omega food, once a day and only feeding a pinch or two (They will need to be done eating in less than a minute, IMO).

4. OP
    OP
    S

Sevaer13 New Member Member

what do you mean back of a spoon as serving size

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

IMO and IME, that is the wrong information given. Letting fish eat for 5 minutes is WAY too long. A minute at very most.

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I would be feeding them only what they would eat in 2 minutes at the most, goldies don't have a true stomach, i would also be feeding AT LEAST twice a day, small frequent feedings work well with them since they have a weird digestive system compared to other fish.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I believe that if the fancy godfish get too fat, that it can cause swim bladder problems - which they are already prone to because of their deformity.

8. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Sorry the other end not the backside ,OK.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I would stick with the Omega One Pellets and stop using flake foods for goldfish. Sometimes when you feed flakes and the fish are getting food from the surface, they may swallow too much air and cause bloating and constipation. Too, pellets are more nutritious than flakes. Sinking foods for Goldfish may also be best. They do forage around in the substrate for food a lot. I would feed twice a day, as long as each fish gets a bite or 2 or 3 is all that is really needed at each feeding. As mentioned by another member, the Goldfish digestive system is a bit different than many other fish.

Agreed, adding enough food that the fish can consume in 2 to 5 minutes is wayyy too much food. Over feeding can lead to a multitude of issues that you do not want.

Another brand of food highly recommended is New Life Spectrum (NLS):

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Goldfish.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/goldfish/11540-goldfish-caresheet.html

Make sure any veggies you feed to your fish are cut up small enough for the fish to easily swallow. If the chunks are too large, the fish can choke. For carrots, you may want to consider blanching them or even boiling and letting them cool. Make them a bit softer for the fish. Children get your parents help with boiling.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/php/109668-goldfish-profiles.html

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice