Am I feeding my fish enough?

1. trombonesarebest Initiate Member

One of my Mollies had a few babies, and all but 1 died. Eventually the adults died and now I am left with the just the baby. It's been a year, and he's half the length of an average adult (around an inch). My question is, am I feeding him enough, or is this a good size for the age?

2. click Well Known Member Member

I'm afraid your 5g tank is too small for mollies. You need at least a 10g. I suspect that's part of the reason the others died and why your lone Mollie didn't grow much.

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? What filtration and water conditioning are you using. Filling up your aquarium info under settings would help us give you better advices.

A Betta fish will do great in a 5g tank.

Edit: And welcome to the forums! I just noticed this is your first post:sign0016:

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!!!

Click pretty much summed it up. Sorry to say this but, IMO ten gallon tanks aren't too suitable for anything except a partition and 2 Bettas!!! (ok, everyone don't jump me on this...just IMO)

Get yourself updated with at least a 20 gallon long tank and life with fish will improve. Move everything from the 10 to the new tank and cycling will be fast. In a ten gallon tank with breeding fish, and as the young grow you quickly become overpopulated with fish and things begin to go down hill...as in water parameters etc.
    The 10 could be used as a fry growout tank...but with too many fry growing up, you would have the same problem without a larger tank to move them to.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore!

5. trombonesarebest Initiate Member

Well thanks for your suggestions, but a new tank really isn't in the cards right now. How much would you recommend I feed him?

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I feed mine once a day

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i'd say feed 1 or 2 times per day, no more than the fish can eat in 2 minutes.

8. trombonesarebest Initiate Member

Alright can do. Thanks!

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I feed my fish once a day, skipping a day or two a week.