Am I Feeding My Common Pleco Enough?

1. H

Hipsterkipster New Member Member

I've been feeding my common pleco blanched zucchini every other day. He's under three inches, and I drop in zuchinni the size of him (basically 1/4 of a zuchinni). The zuchinni is usually gone within 48 hours, but my pleco doesn't have the stringy poop they're notorious for. Am I not feeding him enough?

He lives with blood parrots who unsuccessfully try to eat his food. I'm not sure when common plecos become omnivorous, but he hasn't gone for the sinking cichlid pellets yet.

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I feed my bristle nose an algae wafer every night or a slice of quarter size zucchini.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Hipsterkipster New Member Member

Thanks for replying.
    Does your pleco have stringy poop? I think commons need to eat a bit more since they grow faster, but I'm starting to think I might be overfeeding him, now...

Algae wafer OR zucchini? I've been stuffing the zuchinni with an algae wager. Should I be feeding those separately?

4. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have heard others stuff the zucchini. I just like to give a variety. Mine does have long poo, when I see it. He is about 4” long and 3/4” wise at the widest part. Sometimes I throw a couple of wafers in.