Am I feeding my Bettas right???

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Malex18, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Malex18New MemberMember

Ok so with my new betta fish I have established a feeding system and I was wondering if it is suitable:
    Monday: Frozen brine shrimp
    Tuesday-Thursday: Omega 1 Betta Fish Flakes
    Friday: No food
    Saturday: Split Pea
    Sunday: Omega 1 Betta Fish Flakes
    Feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

2. BorngeminiValued MemberMember

I just fed my betta plain fish food, is it nessesary to feed them live? I know my pet store said brine shrimp and bloodworm

3. shellieca

shelliecaValued MemberMember

That's basically what I do except I alternate the frozen foods; blood worms, brine shrimp & daphnia. Sometimes I feed frozen once a week & sometimes twice, the other days I feed pellets or flakes, fasting one day. The weekly pea isn't necessary IMO & is a bit controversial among some Betta people.

4. OP
    OP
    M

Malex18New MemberMember

Borngemini: I've heard live foods are really a nice treat for bettas and if you can you should feed them some
    Shellieca: Thanks! I may try the pea and if he doesn't take to it I will just stop :p

5. shellieca

shelliecaValued MemberMember

Be careful with the live foods because they can introduce parasites.

6. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't feed flakes, personally. Labarinth fish like bettas and Gouramis can have issues with flake foods, mainly them ingesting too much air, and developing dropsy. While Omega One is a decent food, their betta pellets can be hard to find. If you have a PetSmart near you, check near all their betta stuff. However, I prefer New Life Spectrum over Omega One, as they use better ingredients, and do not use the highly debated preservative Ethoxyquin. NLS can be found at PetCo, and some lfs, as well as on line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice