Am I dreaming about having some plants?

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know if it is somehow possible to grow plants under my present far from ideal conditions. The tank in question is 48 3/4 x12 7/8 x23 7/8. The lightining is the basic fluorescent hoods 15 watts each, 30 watts total. The tank being 60g means that I have .5 watts per gallon, and to make things worst it is a somewhat high tank basically 2 feet high .

So, would you say it is possible to grow low light plants (like java fern or moss or anyother that you may recommend) under this conditions?

Would attaching the plants at the top of a high structures (drift wood or stone)make any difference given that they will be closer to the light source?

Thanks for your advice

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Having the plants attached closer to the light would help as it would increase the PAR of the light. (PAR is really the most influential guage of light in terms of plant growth)
For what its worth I have Java Moss growing in a snail tank that sees very little light and the light it does see is from a regular light bulb. By all calculations this moss should not be alive but it is nice and healthy. Growth is very slow however.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Java Fern, Anubias, Bolbitis heudelottI and Java Moss are the ones I've had most luck with in low light tanks and I don't have CO2. They will grow much slower and occasionally get algae on them as most slow growing plants do. Attaching the ones with Rhizomes to wood or rocks closed to the surface may help of course. Here's a list of lower light plants. Check out the ones marked easy

Carol

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have .5 watts over my 55 gallon tank. I have java fern, anibus nana, amazon sword, a pack of bulbs that you can get at petco and walmart, and java moss. Growth is very slow, but it grows, especially the bulb plants (in fact I just got some more of them).

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info
I was afraid of not meeting the absolute minimum requirements to have some of the easiest/lowest light plants available. I will give it a go then...
Thanks

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have read so many posts here. If you are serious about planting plants, why not upgrading your lighting system to at least 2 watts/gallon?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads