Am I Doing This Right? Planting Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Alhana, Apr 12, 2017.

1. AlhanaValued MemberMember

I've gone a bit plant crazy and now my purchases are coming in. I'm just curious if I'm actually planting these correctly. I've heard with anubias plants you just want the roots in, I do have a plant weight, would that be better to keep the anubias nana on the bottom of the tank until it roots itself down?

The anubias nana and anubias congenesis have now been in the tank for about a week. I've noticed on the nana that one of the stems is starting to turn yellowish, is that what they call melt? Both the anubias plants were grown out of the water.

congenesis 4-12-17.jpgnana4-12-17.jpg

The contortion val I just planted about 3 hours ago so its really new and just came in the mail. I tried to get most of the roots in the gravel and to space the individual plants out. There are 6 of them.
    contortion val 4-12-17.jpg

I've found that the fish really seem to like the plants either that or they are super curious. I've already seen them swimming around in the contortion val. Any tips, tricks or suggestions? I'm debating getting some more of the val since it was shorter than I originally planned. Thanks in advance!

2. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Most people tie or glue anubias onto rocks or wood, and then the roots anchor the plant to whatever's holding it. But I think just as long as the rhizome isn't buried, it'll be fine. The plants may lose some leaves as they adapt.

3. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

The Val is planted correctly and should do fine. Anubias on the other hand, needs to have it's rhizome (chunky thing roots and leaves grow from) exposed to the water column for nutrients. Most people don't "plant" anubias, but rather tie it to a rock, wood, etc. Some have even used regular super glue to glue it in place. (PSA - anyone interested in this, please research prior)

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Anubias are far more trickier to plant down. They have a curled end where the roots connect to the stalk.

5. peppy210Valued MemberMember

I don't see the rhizomes of you anubias exposed. You can only plant the roots; not the thick part where all the leaves come out of (called the rhizome). I have mine tied down onto a rock.
    Your anubias nana is probably melting because the rhizome is buried.

Edit: never mind. I didn't look at the pictures close enough. I see the rhizomes are exposed.
    Oh, and I noticed that you said they were grown emersed.
    Mine were also grown out of water (I got them in tubes) and the leaves do tend to die, but the rhizome usually stays healthy. If the rhizome changes in color or becomes soft, then you should remove the plant entirely, but anubias are hardy plants, so it hardly happens. The loss of leaves tends to happen because plants also need time to acclimate to their new environment.
    I had to snip a couple leaves of of mine because they were browning. But there are new leaves growing in too.
    If you see any dying leaves, you should cut them off. It will also encourage more growth.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. AlhanaValued MemberMember

Just to add the darker green plants behind the contortion val are fake = )

So its okay that some of the val roots are kinda sticking up? I tried to get most of them in the gravel, but my arm isnt very long. I do have a piece of cholla wood and one on the way, should I connect the anubias with cotton thread to those? Is there something better to "stick" it on? I think I do have a piece of lava rock floating around somewhere.

7. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I had mine attached to the driftwood for quite some time, and it slowly lost leaves, but the rhizome was mostly healthy

8. AlhanaValued MemberMember

Which part exactly is the rhizome? I thought the thicker green part circled in red was and the thinner green parts (going down circled in blue) were the roots.
    rhizome.jpg

Thanks everyone thus far for all the help and suggestions!

9. peppy210Valued MemberMember

I fixed my post right before you replied to it! ^^

10. AlhanaValued MemberMember

Whoops!! We had crossing posts and I was playing with the photo program. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't confused and did it backwards. I am horrible at non-aquarium plants and this is really my first foray into the live plants minus the moss balls. I just looked at my moss balls and I think I've not done a good job with them so I'm worried my plant game is super weak. I do have some Easy Green fertilizer coming in the mail, so I'm hopeful that will help.

11. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I would add a root tab by the vals, they are looking a bit yellow... they are sometimes so frustrating to plant! Don't worry about all the roots being covered, just make sure there is some breathing room at the base (the second one in on the left needs to be pulled up a touch) or they will rot. Happily with your size gravel you have a bit of breathing room naturally :)

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Don't plant Vallis too deep (you need to see the white part just above the roots). They may melt down first a bit (have to adapt).
    The moment you'll start thinking about pulling them out, they often start to grow !

13. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

The anubis from what I have read all you have to do is good the root to what you want to attach it to and wait it will do the rest the weight sounds like a good idea

14. AlhanaValued MemberMember

contortion val 4-25-17.jpg So here are the Contortion Vals two weeks later. Some of the tips of the grass tops are brown, should I cut the tips off or just let things happen naturally. I did end up putting in a couple of root tabs for them as well as a liquid fertilizer. I've noticed some "babies" are sprouting so I think that means I'm doing something right!

15. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Browning or yellowing is usually a sign of deficiency or unhealthiness. They are looking much better than they did at the start though, when did you start dosing liquid ferts?

16. AlhanaValued MemberMember

I think most of the browning/yellowing is from when they traveled and then were put in the tank although I could be wrong. Most of the parts that are now brown were yellowing when I received the plants.

I started liquid ferts on 4/16. So I got the contortion val on 4/12 in the mail. Dose liquid ferts on 4/16 (but I only put in half the dose recommended since I was worried my nitrates were still pretty high). I put the root tabs in on 4/20 (if I remember correctly) and then dosed the liquid fert again on 4/23 (this time the full recommended dose).

I havent really done anything else besides water changes. I wasnt sure if I should cut off the stalks with the brown, just cut off the brown parts or leave for nature.

17. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I would leave it for now, vals can be fussy when they are first added. More then likely they will lose a few leaves.
    If you can add a few pieces of gavel on the roots in back.

18. PartiTimeNew MemberMember

I attached mine using Seachem's Flourish glue and a bit of coconut husk. I have one that likes to float off every water change, but I just put it back. Probably my fault. I got excited and took too small of a cutting from a larger one. Trying to share the love between tanks, you know. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice