Am I doing something wrong? Help

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by JCgirl, Mar 18, 2010.

1. JCgirlNew MemberMember

I have 11 beautiful blue platy fry. They were born May 23, 2009. They are almost a year old now.. and they are all still about 1/2 the size of an adult! I change the water regularly, every week or every two weeks and I feed them twice a day. I have heard that they grow slowly, but I thought by a year, I would have at least been able to tell their gender, but they are still too small for that.
    So what am I doing wrong?

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Sorry for the questions but they will help us answer your question :)
    What else is in the tank with them? what are the water test parameters(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

Thank you. :)
    I have Neon Tetras and some Oto algae-eaters.

Just checked them:
    A: 0
    Ni: 0
    Na: Between 0 - 5, but closer to 0

4. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Mine seem to grow much quicker than that. Mine got to half an inch in about 4-5 months and close to adult size at around 7-8 month.

How long did you keep the fry seperated from the other fish? Also, what have you been feeding them?

5. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

I had them in a breeder tank until they got big enough that I felt they would be safe with the adults. (I don't have a second tank to keep them in.. I only have one). When I put the first two biggest ones in with the adult fish, they chased them for about a minute, then everything was fine. They got along great. So once the other babies got to be about that same size, I put them in with the adults. Now they're all together and seem happy.

I fed them baby bites for the first several months, but now I have switched to Tetra Color flakes.

6. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Are they able to compete with the others for food?

7. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

No, not at all. They are all eating fine.

8. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Hmm... I don't know what it could be then. I feed mine a pretty varied diet which included egg yolk and first bites fry food when they were really little and then later on, I fed crushed flakes, micro work, cut up blood worms, baby brine shrimp. I just really tried to mix it up. I don't know if this contributed to their growth or not.

I guess if they are healthy, that's what is important.

9. crazedACD

crazedACDValued MemberMember

How long were they in the breeder box for? Possibly they got stunted by being in a small space?

10. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

Um, about 2 or 3 months cuz I wasn't sure. After I put them in with the adults, they grew a lot more but now they are really really growing slowly.. so slow that I can't tell they are growing at all.

11. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

I'm still pretty concerned about my little ones. If anyone has any suggestions of what I could do to encourage growth, I would very much appreciate it! :-\

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  12. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

13. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

They may have been stunted from being in the breeder box for so long. As long as they are eating and seem happy and healthy that;s all you can hope for. If they are going to grow more making sure the water stays as clean as possible will help.
    Carol

14. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I would try baby brine shrimp, its supposed to help with growth in fry but if they are a year old I don't know if that can be changed.

15. OP
    OP
    J

JCgirlNew MemberMember

Just an update... the babies will a year old in a few days, but they have finally reached maturity! I can now definitely tell their gender now. I noticed this for sure about two days ago. They are still very small, but they do seem to be getting darker in color and growing just a tiny bit. I guess they do just take a LONG LONG time to grow.

16. Nick G

Nick GWell Known MemberMember

Hi JCgirl. When Livebearers are kept together and allowed to breed, the older fish release a hormone (possibly in their urine), which slows the growth of the younger fish, this is to slow the competition for breeding rites. When raising the fry, I find that doing waterchanges every 2 days increases growth rate by about double, as it dilutes the hormone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice