Am I Doing It Right?? Fist Time Owning A Fish Tank

Benji109395

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we bought a 55 gallon tank, set it up and completely wiped out a bunch of fish because Petsmart is obviously not the place to advise you on this stuff... Since then I've read so much info online and have successfully cycled my tank.

To cycle my tank I used Stability by Seachem for 7 days as directed and when I did water changes. I have a Freshwater master test kit from API I have used to keep track of my water. My ammonia spiked then finally dropped to 0 and so did my Nitrites, it took a total of 13 days. My Nitrates are currently at about 20ppm, which I hope is okay.
On day 14 I added a bottle of 7 that treats 40 gallons to hopefully add more bacteria. Later that night (Friday 4/20/18) we bought a Bala Shark and introduced him to the tank. On Saturday 4/21 after talking with the guys at PetWorld, a local pet/fish store we purchased a pretty big Tin Foil Barb and put him in. Besides looking a little uncomfortable with his giant tank mate they have been doing fantastic!

Pet World got in some Tiger Oscars though, and since I wanted some so bad.. I purchased 2 smaller ones and introduced them along with a small Pleco yesterday Monday 4/23. I know they will get big, but I am getting a 90 gallon tank Friday!!

So far so good with everything but I'm hoping I didn't add them all too fast so was hoping for some advice on how to make sure everyone stays healthy. I know the Oscars are kind of mean and so I don't know what exactly to expect with this set up.. I'm about to test my ammonia and Nitrites in a bit and can post the results.

Any advice at this point would be so helpful as this is my very first time having an aquarium! I do not want any of these guys to die so please help lol

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can add fish in that fast if you want, normall i wait a little inbetween each one. The only thing i would be careful with is the bioload. All your fish have a high bioload and you might need an additional filter.

Benji109395

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had 2 of tye biggest Tetra filters from Walmart from 30-60 gallon tanks from day 1. On Sunday I took 1 of them out and added a MarineLand Penguin 350 Power Filter for 75g tanks. It has extra media slots where I added the media from the old filter and will leave until next Monday. Is that the right way to go about that?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would watch out for the MarineLand Penguin Power Filter because I recently bought one and it isn't that great with suction and the bio wheel sometimes doesn't spin at all maybe it's just the first one that has that problem, but watch out anyways.

Benji109395

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
I would watch out for the MarineLand Penguin Power Filter because I recently bought one and it isn't that great with suction and the bio wheel sometimes doesn't spin at all maybe it's just the first one that has that problem, but watch out anyways.
Mine has been doing pretty well so far but I will definitely keep a good eye on it. Thanks

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Benji109395 said:
I've had 2 of tye biggest Tetra filters from Walmart from 30-60 gallon tanks from day 1. On Sunday I took 1 of them out and added a MarineLand Penguin 350 Power Filter for 75g tanks. It has extra media slots where I added the media from the old filter and will leave until next Monday. Is that the right way to go about that?
I am not well versed in stocking so will leave that to those that know about it but want to let you know that you should go ahead and leave that seeded media in there for several weeks. The longer the better.

Benji109395

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I am not well versed in stocking so will leave that to those that know about it but want to let you know that you should go ahead and leave that seeded media in there for several weeks. The longer the better.
Okay thank you. Do you think that will be enough filtration though? I also forgot to mention we have a power head in there as well, it was rated at around 300 gallons per hour if I remember correctly.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Benji109395 said:
Okay thank you. Do you think that will be enough filtration though? I also forgot to mention we have a power head in there as well, it was rated at around 300 gallons per hour if I remember correctly.
I do think it is enough. For example, I have 2 HOB's, an aquaTech 40/60, a cascade 300 and 2 double sponge sponge filters in my 55 gallon. Granted my fish aren't as big as yours are going to get but I am slightly overstocked.

Benji109395

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I do think it is enough. For example, I have 2 HOB's, an aquaTech 40/60, a cascade 300 and 2 double sponge sponge filters in my 55 gallon. Granted my fish aren't as big as yours are going to get but I am slightly overstocked.
Okay awesome.
I'm hoping somebody might reply about how my fish might get along as the Oscars start growing up. A little worried about my Bala Shark lol

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Benji109395 said:
Okay awesome.
I'm hoping somebody might reply about how my fish might get along as the Oscars start growing up. A little worried about my Bala Shark lol
He may need the 90 all to himself

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, oscars are super territorial and do not appreciate other fish so I wouldn't mix one with the other fish

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have some stocking problems already.

2 Oscars (77-81 7.0 pH)
1 pleco (which one?)
1 Bala Shark (72-79 6.5-7.6 pH)
1 Tin Foil Barb (75-80 6-7.5pH)

Temperature range your ok but the 2 Oscars will outgrow the tank. Let alone one Oscar.

The Bala Sharks is a schooling fish and should be in groups. They require a 125g tank. This fish can get up to 1 foot.

The Tin Foil will also get up to 1 foot. I believe they need a group as well.

Pleco...what kind do you have? Is it a common pleco? If so, that will outgrow the tank as well.

I would actually bring most of the fish back home. If you really like the Oscar than you might be able to keep one but that's it...nothing really can go in the tank.

What are you current parameters and what do you really want?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom