Question Am I cycling right?

suttont11

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Recently, I filled a small-ish metal bowl with hot water and a massive amount of fish food for it to dissolve into ammonia. (It came out as over 8ppm's) Why did I do this you might ask? Because my budget is pretty tight and the place that sells pure ammonia near me is still closed. Anyway, every day, I add 30 ml's of that stuff (using a syringe) to my tank along with a bit of cheap top fin betta flakes. I've been doing this for 3 days. I just tested my water, and it came out at 1 ppm. Is this good? There still isn't any nitrites or nitrates in my tank.
Should there be more than 1ppm of ammonia; should there be less?
How does my daily ammonia adding routine sound to you?
Do you think this cycle will create a good environment for 8 cpd's + 1 peacock gudgeon in a 10g tank?
Any other tips on cycling, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you to everyone who repeatedly replies to these posts, it really helps me out!

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well you got ammonia.....just play the waiting game and keep doing your thing.
You should get some nitrites soon hopefully then a little nitrate then you'll do a water change and knock down the ammonia and nitrites will still be there but not the nitrates those will go away with the water change too....well at least that's what happened to me today hahahaha.

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am currently using Seachem Stability to help me cycle my 36 gallon tank. The directions say there's no need to add more stability after seven days, but I think I will keep adding the maintenance dose daily until cycling is fully complete. Be sure to test your water if you have any aquatic life in the aquarium, and don't just assume all is well after seven days. Perhaps give that a try and see if it helps create some of that beneficial bacteria you need in your tank.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom