55 Gallon Tank Am I cycled yet UPDATE

Fljoe

Member
Ok! Since October 7th my daily water test hasn’t changed. Except PH went up from 7.5 to about 7.8!
Ammonia.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5
Even after a WC my ammonia is never at 0 so I’m assuming it’s actually 0 like a lot of members here say the same thing.
Tank is still cloudy for a week! Bacteria Bloom?
 

Susie11

Member
Fljoe said:
Ok! Since October 7th my daily water test hasn’t changed. Except PH went up from 7.5 to about 7.8!
Ammonia.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5
Even after a WC my ammonia is never at 0 so I’m assuming it’s actually 0 like a lot of members here say the same thing.
Tank is still cloudy for a week! Bacteria Bloom?
What test u use
 

Susie11

Member

vyrille

Member
Fljoe said:
Ok! Since October 7th my daily water test hasn’t changed. Except PH went up from 7.5 to about 7.8!
Ammonia.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5
Even after a WC my ammonia is never at 0 so I’m assuming it’s actually 0 like a lot of members here say the same thing.
Tank is still cloudy for a week! Bacteria Bloom?
If you want to be absolutely sure, dose your tank 2ppm ammonia. in 24hrs there should be no trace of both ammonia and nitrites. If so, congratulations! If not, you'll probably have to wait longer..
 

Donthemon

Member
vyrille said:
If you want to be absolutely sure, dose your tank 2ppm ammonia. in 24hrs there should be no trace of both ammonia and nitrites. If so, congratulations! If not, you'll probably have to wait longer..
Looks like there is fish in the tank though. Might kill them all.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
vyrille said:
If you want to be absolutely sure, dose your tank 2ppm ammonia. in 24hrs there should be no trace of both ammonia and nitrites. If so, congratulations! If not, you'll probably have to wait longer..
Waiting isn’t a problem! Should I add ammonia with fish?

Susie11 said:
Is it good
Yes! It’s new, expiration date is 2024
 

vyrille

Member
Fljoe said:
Waiting isn’t a problem! Should I add ammonia with fish?
Ohmygoodness don't dose 2ppm with fish!! I'm sorry I assumed this was fishless! If your results have been stable that long, your tank probably has enough bacteria for your current bioload. so yes, it is most likely cycled by now.

edit: You are right that sometimes ammonia test can give funky readings. You'll probably want to shake ammonia no.1 bottle vigorously for 30 seconds as you would nitrate no.2 bottle for best results. These two are mixed reagents in an oil-y solution, so sometimes they can settle and separate inside the bottle..
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
vyrille said:
Ohmygoodness don't dose 2ppm with fish!! I'm sorry I assumed this was fishless! If your results have been stable that long, your tank probably has enough bacteria for your current bioload. so yes, it is most likely cycled by now.

edit: You are right that sometimes ammonia test can give funky readings. You'll probably want to shake ammonia no.1 bottle vigorously for 30 seconds as you would nitrate no.2 bottle for best results. These two are mixed reagents in an oil-y solution, so sometimes they can settle and separate inside the bottle..
Thanks! I wasn’t going to add ammonia! Lol
Good tip on the ammonia bottle. I will do that!
 

vyrille

Member
Fljoe said:
Thanks! I wasn’t going to add ammonia! Lol
Good tip on the ammonia bottle. I will do that!
No, you wouldn't, but others might have. It was my mistake for not asking aha. The cloudiness is most likely bacterial bloom feeding on the excess nutrients. it should eventually settle in time, in my experience around 3-4 days at 30C. Just keep an eye on your paramteres the first couple weeks, and then, just periodically, then you're golden. Happy fishkeeping!
 

Vinh

Member
Fljoe said:
Yes! It’s new, expiration date is 2024
You now can return the ammonia bottle to LFS...and get the money back for the completed cycle party!
 

Momgoose56

Member
Fljoe said:
Ok! Since October 7th my daily water test hasn’t changed. Except PH went up from 7.5 to about 7.8!
Ammonia.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5
Even after a WC my ammonia is never at 0 so I’m assuming it’s actually 0 like a lot of members here say the same thing.
Tank is still cloudy for a week! Bacteria Bloom?
Did you test your tap water for ammonia?
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
vyrille said:
No, you wouldn't, but others might have. It was my mistake for not asking aha. The cloudiness is most likely bacterial bloom feeding on the excess nutrients. it should eventually settle in time, in my experience around 3-4 days at 30C. Just keep an eye on your paramteres the first couple weeks, and then, just periodically, then you're golden. Happy fishkeeping!
I should have stated all the information on the tank. I did on my original post last week. BTW I re tested ammonia after shaking bottle 1! That definitely made a difference. I am at 0 ammonia! As long as water parameters stay in check, should I not do a WC while it has the bacteria Bloom? I read that changing the water can prolong the bloom.

Momgoose56 said:
Did you test your tap water for ammonia?
Yes I did. It was a clear 0! I just re tested the tank for ammonia using the advice of vyrille, and tank shows 0!
 

vyrille

Member
Fljoe said:
I should have stated all the information on the tank. I did on my original post last week. BTW I re tested ammonia after shaking bottle 1! That definitely made a difference. I am at 0 ammonia! As long as water parameters stay in check, should I not do a WC while it has the bacteria Bloom? I read that changing the water can prolong the bloom.
Glad to hear it! Personally I would just wait out the bloom and let nature take its course, doing water changes only as part of routine maintenance. Like previously mentioned it usually takes 3-4 for me to fully clear. But, if you wish to perform water changes, I don't see harm in it either!
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
I just did a water 30% WC on Monday. It cleared some. But came back. I will hold off on changing the water until it clears. As long as test results permit.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
Update:
I’ve been ringing out the filter cartridges since new sept15th.
So yesterday I cut the cartridge material from the plastic frame, I put the filter material in a media bag and placed it in the overflow chamber. I cut fiber filter to size and placed it were the original cartridges went. I also added a sponge to the inlet tube.

My nitrates have been a steady 5 since October 7th. Today
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2-2.5
Is this normal or did I do something wrong with the old cartridges?
 

vyrille

Member
To clarify: your concern is the low nitrates?
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
Yes because after my water change on Saturday, my nitrates were still at five. After the filter media change 24 hours later it dropped to 2 to 2.5 on its own.
 

vyrille

Member
Fljoe said:
Yes because after my water change on Saturday, my nitrates were still at five. After the filter media change 24 hours later it dropped to 2 to 2.5 on its own.
What test kit did you use to measure nitrate again? IIRC the API ones only measure upto 5ppm. Regardless, I would attribute that to the plants eating up the nitrate. So long as ammonia and nitrite don't spike, I wouldn't be worried..
 
  • Thread Starter

Fljoe

Member
vyrille said:
What test kit did you use to measure nitrate again? IIRC the API ones only measure upto 5ppm. Regardless, I would attribute that to the plants eating up the nitrate. So long as ammonia and nitrite don't spike, I wouldn't be worried..
API master kit. I don’t have any live plants. I’m probably just over thinking it! Lol
 

Momgoose56

Member
Fljoe said:
API master kit. I don’t have any live plants. I’m probably just over thinking it! Lol
That's my impression lol!
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom