Am I Cycled?! What Now?

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I am finally cycled! Pic below. I just did a 25% water change because I haven't done one in over a week but that's all I did. I am thinking sand vac in a few days and maybe next water change I'll rinse the filter media in tank water? Does this sound ok? A couple questions.

How often should i vac the sand?
I was using prime and stability but now that I am cycled should I save the stability to help when I add fish and just use prime during water changes?
I will keep using prime and I do 6 drops to a 2.5 g bucket. Do I need to let it sit before putting it in the tank? I have just been stirring the water and putting it in.

Some details: it is a 20 long with 1 pregnant platy and 2 nerite snails. I have sand not gravel. I plan to add 3 honey gourami, 6 dainty cories and then another small school of 6 (harlequin rasbora's, glofish danios or cherry Barb's). We are going on vacation the 30th-4th so I am not adding fish til we get back and I am hoping she has the babies before then so I know how many we are dealing with. I am thinking of adding the honeys first but will take advice.

Attachments

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
do not rinse filter media until it is restricting water flow, and then only rince in tank water. you shouldnt need to rinse it for probly a month or more from now.

gravle vac half the tank each time you wc. and then the other half the next wc.

use stability as you add fish, for good measure.

you dont have to let prime sit, maybe a minuter or so, but i dont i just add it to water then add water to tank.

edit to add: if you leave befor platy has fry, be sure to add lots of plants for hiding places, so the babies can escape the adults. you will loose some but if there is enough hiding places there should be some still there when u get back. good luck and happy trailing

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ms rose, you need to check your spell checker for rinse. I don't know how many wrong words I've accidentally added to my dictionary.. doh.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hahaha i went back and fixed them while i was adding an "edit" lol but yes i have also added crazy spelling to my dictionary, i beleive its called "urban" dictionary lmbo

edit; not sure if i spelled "urban" right hahaha

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! So I seem to be cycled and can just do the weekly water changes and tests? Lol testing everyday and water changes was crazy!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes weekly is fine. if you c signs of stress, test at that time. i would not imagine in a cycled tank, needing to do wc every day lol. you seem good to go, congrats on the cycling, its a long hard road, but so worth every stressful moment lol

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes it has been way more stressful and hard than I thought it would be when we decided to get my son a fish tank. But I can't wait to add more fish and have a fun lively tank!

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Congratulations! You made it! I have sand & vacuum the whole surface weekly with my water changes. Partially because I find the visual build up of junk/poop gross & unsightly (circle the siphon over the sand).

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When everyone vacs their sand do you move the ornaments around too or just every once in awhile? I don't want to stress the fish to much but stuff builds up behind the plants and under the driftwood

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have sand also, i only move decor once in a while. but with sand, its very important to move all sand around to be sure there are no ammonia pockets built up under sand. so what i would do is do the regular vacing and then just maybe trist your orniments around to get the sand beneath to let loose. imo it is ok to miss this step on occatin as long as it does get moved every now and again, but others may disagree on this point. it works for me

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom