Am I cycled? Help please :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by shaunparr84, Jul 2, 2016.

1. s

shaunparr84 New Member Member

Hi all,

I have a 54 ltr (14 Us Gallon) tank that I have been cycling, fishless, since late May (although only adding ammonia since 1st of June). I have sand substrate a filter on high, heater on about 82. I have one plant, a Java Fern.

I used the online calculator to calculate my ammonia (household, 9.5% volume) input and dosed accordingly. I had a massive Nitrite spike which has recently subsided (a mixture of patience and water changes!) and I am now getting zero nitrites and ammonia 36 hours after dosing 2.0ppm of ammonia - is that sufficiently cycled and ready for fish, considering my tank size?

As an aside, I have to admit I was initially dosing much higher amounts (I'd guess about 5 ppm) but have recently reduced it to 2ppm (I think I was being dumb - on the online calculator you have to put you tank volume in litres - mine is 54 - however i'm guessing that volume is when the water is full to the top - mine isn't - and if it hasn't got ornaments in taking up space - mine has - so I think I may have been overdosing initially based on this calculation?

Anyway, am I now in a position to add a few fish...? I hope I have given you enough information!

Thanks for your help, this is an amazingly helpful resource.

:)

Oh, additionally my nitrates are 80 which I would hope to reduce with a big water change. Ph is 7.5.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  2. AndrewJ54

AndrewJ54 Valued Member Member

Once you are reading nitrates you know that you have enough BB to handle the ammonia convert it into nitrites and eventually nitrates. Stop dosing with ammonia and let your bacteria process what's left of the ammonia in your tank or do a few water changes to lower both ammonia and nitrates. You want 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and around 20 nitrates, once you've met these levels it would be safe to start adding fish slowly, but yes it is safe to say you are indeed cycled! Congratulations!

3. OP
    OP
    s

shaunparr84 New Member Member

Excellent news, thanks for your reply :)

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd dose ammonia up to 2ppm and then test in 24hrs. If ammonia and nitrite are zero, with some nitrates I'd say you're cycled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice