Am I Cruel? Funny

1. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Okay ... so the big news today was I got my 20G Long as stated in my other thread. So now I have a question for you. Read the following scenario and please tell me if I am cruel...

At store #4 on our quest to find a tank divider, my partner and I discovered the store had none. Before heading off to store #5 ... I had to stop and look at the bettas. My partner noticed a pretty veiltail that he liked ... but up in the corner of the rack was a red female that was zipping all over her cup. I picked her up to look at her and noticed large prominent stress lines. I educated my partner as to what those were and why she had them. He knew we were in trouble and immediately signaled that it was time to press on in our search for the divider. As we took one last glance and the female betta and others, my partner noticed one that had already passed away. He is very sensitive to this (he found Aadyn James had passed away while I was on the road flying and was inconsolable when he called me!) and I knew we had to leave immediately before he started crying right there in Petco!

We drove off to store #5 (a LFS) and I couldn't stop thinking about the red betta girl. I mentioned her to him again while we were at the next store and then it flew out of my mouth:

"If we don't go back to save her, she's going to end up dead like the other one you saw. Do you want that to happen to her?"

Am I a cruel person for saying this?

Turns out, we did go back to the previous store to pick up the red girl. Unfortunately, she looked particularly bad the second time we looked at her. I checked out the other female bettas, deadset on giving one of them a home. Fortunately, my partner and I both laid eyes on the cutest crowntail female who (in her death cup) was green with some purple in her fins. I knew I couldn't bring the red one home in her condition (like I said my partner would lose it if she died on us) and the green girl looked to be in great condition for being in a betta cup. I decided we'd take the green girl.

After moving my three boys into the 20G Long, I moved the green girl into Vanguard's old 5G tank.

Tomorrow I will post pictures, but I'm happy to tell you one of those vacated tanks is going to great use and my little girl is busy swimming about.

Because she is purple and green we named her Kiwi, after KIWI International Airlines.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Upright. I don't think you've been cruel at all but concerned for the well being of the fish. I think you did the right thing. Unfortunately we can't save all the fish out there as much as we'd like to.

I'll be looking forward to your photos of your new Betta.
    Congrats!
    Ken

3. MNfishMama Initiate Member

I think you did the right thing. Unfortunately I didn't have that self control which is how I ended up with 14 Betta's at one point. I tend to pick the ones that are small or obviously sick in hopes of saving them. One of the sales guys at Petco noticed I'd been doing it and started giving me the Betta's for 75% off. All have so far recovered and are in excellent condition now with blooming personalities. :) Three I've re-homed and only one we very recently lost to an unknown cause after recovering from fin rot. I've had to put a stop to buying the Betta's though as I've run out of room for them.

4. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Good morning, you two! Thanks for the support ;) I am currently nursing Vanguard back to health, he had an awful case of fin rot when I bought him. The little red girl just didn't seem right ... when I went back to see her she was floating at the top, listing to the side, and bending. Our trip wasn't in vain though, because Kiwi came home with us! She's my first girl betta so I'm excited to get to know her. She is SO tiny, it is adorable. Her 5g looks gigantic.

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I would have and have done the same! You did the right thing and I cant wait to see pics :)

6. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Pictures!

Hi Everyone!

Here is Kiwi and her new tank. Please help me! She is in a 5g, cycled (I always have extra filter media in cycled tanks). The filter is strong for the tank, I will admit. I have slowed it down as much as possible with extra filter floss. Because it is so strong, I have added a lot of silk plants to break up the water flow. A Palm Azoo filter will be delivered next week, which will cut down the current. However, as you can see, Kiwi is displaying very prominent stress lines that she did not have last night when I put her in the tank. What could be causing this? Just the filter current? Unfortunately, she will need to make peace with that until next week! I can't find a lesser-power filter than I have already.

Anyway, without further delay, here is Kiwi and her tank!

Attached Files:

7. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL hmm.... its not cruel... you did the right thing. I would've done same LOL

Female bettas are fun huh? they're so tiny when we first get them... mine is like 1 1/2 inches and she's been home with me for a week. They are so much fun :)

EDIT: I am going thorugh this too. Is there any way you could take some sponges or filter floss to lessen it? Remember, she also has to get used to the current, as her muscles are very weak, they will get stronger though. She was in a cup and wasnt swimming much, she just has to get used to her new life :p

8. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hi Tony,

I have extra filter floss coming out of the wazoo in that filter ... the water is even backing out over where the tube comes up from in the water ... LOL! She isn't being swept around the tank forcefully or anything, please don't get me wrong! But I can tell she is always adjusting herself in the current. At the front right corner the water is fairly still (lots of plant leaves in this area) and also she has a cave to hide in. Hopefully this will get her through to the new filter arriving!

9. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Aww, she's so cute. I hope she adjusts quickly, it sure seems as though you are working hard to provide her with what she needs.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

She's probably getting used to the tank :) Last night i added jane (my DBTHM girl ;)) to her 5g, she was a pretty pink and purple, then in a matter of minutes turned pale and started floating around in the current. This morning she was back to her pink purple color swimming about.

11. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Okay, I added even MORE filter floss to slow the intake of the filter. I put it all throughout the "basket" where the water gets sucked into inside the tank. I also put some up that pipe ... I hope this is alright. The filter is now running as slowly as I could make it. Hopefully little Kiwi appreciates this! Can't wait for those stress lines to go away.

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL she's already happy with you, she just wants to be spoiled :p
    :nono:

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations Upright! She's beautiful. And no, you weren't cruel. You were protecting your partner's sensitivity to death. That's love right there:).

I love her name! Too cute!

14. platy ben Well Known Member Member

She looks like a really cute fish :)
    Maybe you could point the filter at an angle so that the flow hits the side of the aquairum before it goes off round the tank?

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's really tough to leave the really sick ones behind.. I know from personal experience.
    However, I contacted the manager of the store on up to the corporation to let them know what I thought about their cruelty to fish.

16. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

It's not cruel, I've been guilty of doing the same thing... lol. You always wanna save them all...

17. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Ho Ho Ho Kiwi, welcome sweet little girl. Not cruel at all, and look who you ended up with, you can't possibly regret her!
    Love your tank backing, have been thinking about doing the same thing when I heard other members were doing it, it looks absolutely great and I will be doing that after all!!

18. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi Little Kiwi, those are stress lines hey? I just thought you might be stripey! LOL. :D

You have great self control, not cruel so much as sensible, me I do not suffer from this I would have bought the red girl, kiwi and any other that looked like it needed some TLC.
    I am wondering, did you think of going back for little red girl since buying Kiwi?