Am I changing too much water?

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've been performing large water changes once a week on my well stocked 30 gallon and 16 gallon aquariums. By large,I mean 75% water changes. I like doing large water changes and I'm careful about keeping my temps the same and haven't seen any adverse effects so far. My water stays very clear and I know one size doesn't fit all but does anyone else do this? Are there any good reasons not to change my water like this?? Thanks

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as the temp is the same and the fish are fine, then it’s no problem.

OP
andy305mia

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks yeah I try to remove as much as I can without stressing my fish too much. I've got another 29 gallon and it's on week two and it shows. Gotta get to it tommorow
CoryFan said:
As long as the temp is the same and the fish are fine, then it’s no problem.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I do the same, about 75% or even slightly more. I don't believe that it's possible to change too much water, provided that the temp and pH matches your tank water.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was doing 25% or so changes every 3-4 days, bit OCD I suppose but trying to keep everything copacetic as they settle in. Whatever works for your tanks!!

OP
andy305mia

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a whole thing with hoses and stuff. So I fell like if I break them out I want to changes as much as I can since I went through that trouble. I have to get temps right so it's a little involved.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
andy305mia said:
I have a whole thing with hoses and stuff. So I fell like if I break them out I want to changes as much as I can since I went through that trouble. I have to get temps right so it's a little involved.
lucky! whenevr I do water changes I have to siphon into a bucket starting it via my mouth and lug the bucket to the toilet, empty it, repeat. Then I fill the bucket up in the tub, lug it to the tank, lift it up and dump it in, repeat!
all my sinks are so new that nothing connects to them!

OP
andy305mia

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CoryFan said:
lucky! whenevr I do water changes I have to siphon into a bucket starting it via my mouth and lug the bucket to the toilet, empty it, repeat. Then I fill the bucket up in the tub, lug it to the tank, lift it up and dump it in, repeat!
Same here, luckily I use my shower head hose, picked up an adapter and hook up there. I recently changed my faucet in one of my bathrooms for a fish friendly one lol. It was about time to change it anyway. You could pick up some clear tubing and put it on the end of one of those cleaning tube things and run it straight to your toilet. I do it and it works great. I use a separate hose to add water

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CoryFan said:
It is no laughing matter Hugooo! ;):banghead:

Hugooo

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, who/what lives in your 30 gallon and 16 gallon aquarium? I would love to see some pictures! Lol poor CoryFan :( :stop: Honestly tho I can completely relate to you, who else here thinks that water changes are a workout?

WhiskeyGinger

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use a python type siphon and it makes the task so easy. Just hook it up to the sink to fill. I try to save the discharge water though, it's great for plants. The setup is a bit on the expensive side, ~$55, but worth it.

CoryFan said:
You can get adapters for most, if not all sinks, you just have to be a bit creative sometimes...

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WhiskeyGinger said:
I use a python type siphon and it makes the task so easy. Just hook it up to the sink to fill. I try to save the discharge water though, it's great for plants. The setup is a bit on the expensive side, ~$55, but worth it.
the worst part is I bought one but it doesn’t work with my sinks!!!!

OP
andy305mia

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WhiskeyGinger said:
You can get adapters for most, if not all sinks, you just have to be a bit creative sometimes...
Not the ones that have nothing to adapt to.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CoryFan said:
It’s never worked for me, but I'm a farmer and used to gross stuff so it doesn’t phase me!
I'm pretty country myself, but I like doing things the easy way, and sucking on a hose to get a siphon started doesn't qualify.

OP
andy305mia

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WhiskeyGinger said:
I like the idea but I don't like putting my dirty water in my sink or shower. I know it's probably not a big deal but just not my thing. Would definitely save some clutter

New Threads