Am I boring my betta?

juniperlea
I have female bettas (20g long) and they're not at all bored by their environment or aggressive. But, frankly, the male (in 75g) is utterly bored. He travels, snoozes and investigates in a lazy manner. Frankly though, he looks incredibly bored. The only time I see animation from him is when I wave at him and run my fingers on the glass. I understand female bettas (horribly misunderstood), but I don't get bored male bettas. Female bettas don't get bored. Males do!

Advertisement
oliviawilliam2017
I have female bettas (20 gallon long) and they're not at all bored by their environment or aggressive. But, frankly, the male (in 75 gallon) is utterly bored. He travels, snoozes and investigates in a lazy manner. Frankly though, he looks incredibly bored. The only time I see animation from him is when I wave at him and run my fingers on the glass. I understand female bettas (horribly misunderstood), but I don't get bored male bettas. Female bettas don't get bored. Males do!

do you have anything for him to interact with like plants or hides? does he have any tank mates?

juniperlea
He has so many tank mates and plants and hiding spaces. He couldn't care less about them! I used to keep him in a 20 gallon long community tank with a mirror as background (ADF tank.... wanted to double the pleasure). He strutted in the mirror and then got bored of strutting. Then, he would snoop around for a while and go back to his reflection. I then switched. Put the girls in the 20 gallon long with a mirror (they didn't care!) and the male to the 75g. Still, the male is bored. Or is he Bo-ring?

oliviawilliam2017
He has so many tank mates and plants and hiding spaces. He couldn't care less about them! I used to keep him in a 20 gallon long community tank with a mirror as background (ADF tank.... wanted to double the pleasure). He strutted in the mirror and then got bored of strutting. Then, he would snoop around for a while and go back to his reflection. I then switched. Put the girls in the 20 gallon long with a mirror (they didn't care!) and the male to the 75 gallon. Still, the male is bored. Or is he Bo-ring?

hm, I don’t really know. if he seems healthy otherwise then i’m not sure there’s much more you can do. the only thing I think it could be is, maybe he has too much space? maybe his fins are weighing him down or he has too much to explore and it tires him out/stresses him out. has he been this way since you’ve had him?

TerryCHJ
I have the same issue, I have a male in 10 gallon. There are some amazon sword up top, bent over and almost blocking the light, with some annubias and javafern down below. And one floating log type thing he likes to sleep in. And his tank mates are nerite snails.

Wondering if he gets bored too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Alliebaaba
Replies
Views
SawyerDawn
Replies
Views
Neeno2022
Replies