Am I at full capacity?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by hanstatonx, Aug 4, 2014.

1. hanstatonx

hanstatonxNew MemberMember

I currently have a male molly, 6 neon tetras and a bottlenose pleco in my 16 gallon tank.
    Just wondered whether I'm fully stocked now? Not sure how to work it out myself. If not, any recommended additions? Thanks

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

You're not overstocked, you could add some more neons as they look lovely in larger shoals, or you could have a group of corys for the bottom, one of the smaller species such as pandas

3. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Pandas would be nice. You could also have a dwarf gourami in that size tank. Killifish Gardneri are also nice. The gardneri subspecies are one of the few Killis that do well in a small community. :)

4. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

The molly alone requires at least a 20 gallon long... I wouldn't put more fish in there until the current fish's needs are met.

5. Ben3721Well Known MemberMember

You'll know your overstocked when your beneficial bacteria cant convert all the ammonia. Just remember if you start heavily stocking a tank you must clean the gravel more often and watch the ammonia. And get a bigger filter if needed. I run a 150gph filter on my 10 gallon tank.

6. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

A 16UK gallon is almost a 20US gallon, it's approx 19.25US gallons, I always have to check where people come from so in my head I know how big a tank is.

7. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

As an aside - what on earth is a bottlenose pleco? My guess is that one needs a larger tank too, but I've never heard that used as a common name before.

Edit: lol... didn't even see you were in the UK. Oops.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice