Am I almost done my fishless cycle?

Baasy

I done just what mattgirl suggested in this thread:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...lled-fishless-cycle-and-how-to-fix-it.429601/
Done a 50% water change got my nitrites down to 2.0 -5.0ppm and my nitrates down to 20ppm then dosed my ammonia up to 4.0ppm..if the ammonia is down today 1.0ppm in the next day or two is my cycle near the end ? What should I do next..new to this hobby but have done everything to cycle from seeding, beneficial bacteria gravel,java moss ,high PH,84°f the lot and I'm only in my 2nd week!

mattgirl

I done just that,done a 50% water change got my nitrites down to 2.0 -5.0ppm and my nitrates down to 20ppm then dosed my ammonia up to 4.0ppm..if the ammonia is down today 1.0ppm in the next day or two is my cycle near the end ? What should I do next..new to this hobby but have done everything to cycle from seeding, beneficial bacteria gravel,java moss ,high PH,84°f the lot and I'm only in my 2nd week!
Now it is just going to take time. When you say seeding, what did you use? Just continue adding more ammonia each time it gets down to or close to zero. You are looking to see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates 24 hours after adding ammonia. When that happens the cycle will be complete.

Baasy

I got my LFS to squeeze hiz bacteria into a bag of tank water on 2 occasions,the Monday and Tuesday and I pours that straight onto my sponge on the filmy ammonia has risen and taken then I dosed it bk to 4.0ppm,once I check my water parameters today if they drop say to 1.0 ppm what will a do next ?keep adding ammonia till I put my puffer in once every thing is normal..yes.
On to my filter*

mattgirl

I got my LFS to squeeze hiz bacteria into a bag of tank water on 2 occasions,the Monday and Tuesday and I pours that straight onto my sponge on the filmy ammonia has risen and taken then I dosed it bk to 4.0ppm,once I check my water parameters today if they drop say to 1.0 ppm what will a do next ?keep adding ammonia till I put my puffer in once every thing is normal..yes.
On to my filter*
That may have helped jump start your cycle. Since your nitrites spiked so high I don't think it helped a great deal so it is going to take a few more weeks for this cycle to be done.

What size tank are you cycling? If you are cycling this tank for a single puffer I don't think you need to grow enough bacteria to process 4ppm ammonia. I don't think there is any way the one little fish can ever produce that much ammonia. I wouldn't get it any higher than 2ppm each time you add it.

As i said in my previous post. Let the ammonia get down to or close to zero before adding any more. Each time it does get it back up to 2ppm but in any case no more often than every 24 hours. You will continue doing this until a day or two before adding your fish.

The cycle won't be done until the ammonia you add goes down to zero within 24 hours and your nitrites have dropped to zero. If the ammonia goes down to zero within 24 hours and you are still seeing nitrites then the cycle isn't done.

If you've not already done so I will recommend you run all the tests on your tap water. It is a good idea to know the parameters of the water we are using to do our water changes.

Baasy

I have high pH tap water.. say 7.2-7.6,I also have Samoa sand, my LFS said it's Like crushed coral, keeps my PH high, my tank is only 20 gallon,im going to get a 55 gallon cube once my bedroom is painted and get my new bed to have more space,my nitrite went up to purple 2.0-5.0 for the last 3 days on my 5th day of the cycle,u had nitrites my second day 0.50 so the seeding must have done something, so should I only dose it up to 2.0 for the one puffer, dragon puffers are dosil fish and don't swim around much so is fine for the 20 gallon, I got it delivers too soon because I was listening to other people saying toy can cycle in 24 hours or 1 week, clearly that's not a nature tank and will run into a lot of problems with your aquatic creature, its a sin to do that, so my LFS is holding it for me untill my tank is properly cycled, I got it sent from "aqua aquatics" they never even asked if I had the tank cycled, just excepted the money and sent it, once I realised my tank wasn't cycled I asked for them not to send it until my tank was ready and they said .aww its already packed ready to send..clearly they are only interested in the money not there fish..call there self's seasoned aquarised !!!
Not a mature tank*

mattgirl

Yes, growing enough bacteria to process 2ppm ammonia should be more than enough for the one little guy. Let that 2ppm go down to zero or very close to it before getting it back up to 2ppm. If you run your test any sooner than 24 hours and see no ammonia don't add anymore right then. You only need to add it every 24 hours.

Most online sellers of fish aren't going to ask about whether or not we have a cycled tank for the fish we are ordering. It is good that your local fish store is working with you while you are working on providing the little guy a safe home.

StarGirl

Oh drool 7.2-7.6 tap water......so lucky. What is your pH with the said substrate in the tank?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Fishless Cycle - Ruined?
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views