Am I Allowed To Have Two 10 Gallon Filters In My 10 Gallon Tank?

Maxtim77
I currently have 3 corycats and 2 black moor goldfish in this tank. I know I shouldn't have a goldfish with corys but I got the goldfish as gifts from my parents. I was looking for a pet store to take them but I don't know if the Pet Supermarket near me will take them.

I'm looking to add another filter to the tank to keep things cleaner. I currently have one tetra 10 gallon whisper internal power filter and was thinking to add another one of those.

Will adding another filter make the water flow too fast?

Also I've been feeding my goldfish 4 out of 7 days a week. Will that slow down my goldfish from producing a ton of waste?

Feeding my fish 4 out of 7 days. ( Once at the same time each one of the feeding days)

AJE
You kind of need another filter with goldfish, before you rehouse them

IHaveADogToo
To answer your immediate question, yes, over filtering a tank is just fine. A lot of us over filter. You probably need to over filter with those goldfish.

It's good that you are looking to rehome the goldfish. What temperature is the water? Goldfish like cold water and most cories like tropical water.

Maxtim77
To answer your immediate question, yes, over filtering a tank is just fine. A lot of us over filter. You probably need to over filter with those goldfish.

It's good that you are looking to rehome the goldfish. What temperature is the water? Goldfish like cold water and most cories like tropical water.
It's 70-71 degrees F in there. Would adding another whisper make the water flow too fast? I've read that's an issue

Maxtim77
You kind of need another filter with goldfish, before you rehouse them
My main concern is whether or not adding another filter will make the water flow too fast for my fish

IHaveADogToo
It's 70-71 degrees F in there. Would adding another whisper make the water flow too fast? I've read that's an issue

The tank is too small for even one goldfish, let alone 2. Each goldfish needs 20 gallons, partly because of how much waste they make. Understanding that, you need all the filtration you can get to keep the water from being toxic. Yes, goldfish do appreciate a low flow, but they also appreciate clean water.

Discus-Tang
You really should get another filter. The goldfish are grazers and should be fed more often, but your tank doesn't allow that. Do you have an API master test kit or something similar?

Just to add on to the stocking issue, no cories should be kept in a 10 gallon either.

Maxtim77
You really should get another filter. The goldfish are grazers and should be fed more often, but your tank doesn't allow that. Do you have an API master test kit or something similar?

Just to add on to the stocking issue, no cories should be kept in a 10 gallon either.

I need to get an API master test kit asap. Everything seems to be fine, I’ve been doing weekly gravel vacuuming and weekly partial water changes.

Maxtim77
The tank is too small for even one goldfish, let alone 2. Each goldfish needs 20 gallons, partly because of how much waste they make. Understanding that, you need all the filtration you can get to keep the water from being toxic. Yes, goldfish do appreciate a low flow, but they also appreciate clean water.

Okay. Thank you for answering my question. I was just worried my cories and goldfish could get swept up in the current as I’ve read with other fish

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
greenplums
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views