am i a handsome man or a beautious gal?

1. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

only pic I could get of one of my 3 abn's...im so :innocent0001: for a m/f combo but for now, this is just one of them..he/she is about 3 inches long....I know males and females can have the bristles, just males are much more pronounced and longer...but do all m/f get bristles this early?

this is both the same fish...hoping to catch my other 2 at some point :;fru they arent the most photogenic!~
    thanks for any help!!!

bn.JPG

bns.JPG

2. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Most females don't get bristles but some do. Males will also get that red spot on top of their heads. If you don't mind I'll post a pic and you can see what I'm talking about. None of my females have bristles.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

awesome! and heck no i dont mind..I love your bn kids so much!!!!!!

4. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

This is a male and you can see the red spot on top of his head. Not sure if 100% of males have this but all mine do. My males also have longer snouts even the ones with just a few bristles have longer snouts then my females. The females have cute short little noses, they also have smaller bodies then my males too.

After I said that I looked at the pic and this guy has a pretty short snout..lol..But I just looked and my guys with LOTS of bristles seem to have a bit of a longer snout. Might just be my weirdo guys though..lol

Attached Files:

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I see the spot!!!!! ty cesch!!!
    is it normal for just a 3 inch bn to have as many bristles as mine does? I know i have one bn who has some bristles but nothing like this guy...but they are the same size..the other one is like a stubble of bristles...

6. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Some have more then others. Mine aren't that bristly but I know L-144's mature a lot slower then ABN so I'm not sure. He is "hairy" though!..lol.. Does yours have the spot?

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

no spot that i can see in the pic...and those buggers are hard to catch with the nekid eye also lol..

LOL @ hairy..its like they came overnight! ty so much for your help..ill see about better pics

8. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Well I'm no expert so I'd wait and see what some others have to say. Carol would know for sure!.

9. Toddnbecka Member Member

Definitely a male, females don't have bristles that long regardless of size/age. Shouldn't be much longer before they start spawning, I figured that brood would be mature enough around Christmas. I'm curious to see whether their fry will all be albino's.
    I have a new brood of fry, just barely past the yolk sac stage. Daddy was a red from Germany, mother was a brown, looks like the fry are calico. I'll have to wait until they grow a bit to be certain, but the red/red fry didn't look mostly brown when they were that small.

10. Aldric Member Member

i would say its a male also. one thing that about that red spot, my female abn has a red spot on her head..... lol

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It is definitely a male :) Not all species of BN have the red spot on top of the head :)
    Females that have bristles have very short ones just around the lip. SOOO if there's a girly in there some where you may have babies for
    christmas :)
    I think all mine I got from Todd were girlys . but they sure are pretty.
    Carol

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

TY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Ill have to see if i can get pics of the others..im so so hoping i have a fem..and these arent todds babies..none of his made it :( these are ones from BB and we dont know how old they are and i can only say they are about 3 inches big

13. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I knew yours were from BB but thought they were about the same age as the ones I got from todd.
    They should be sexable at about two inches(not counting the fins).
    Carol

14. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

maybe....I can only go on size with them ...she wasnt sure how old they were from the LFS ..thanks for the help tho!!!

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what about this one??

sorry for back to back posts
    but I got some of the one in question....every pic i get, seems to have bristles but then the next pic it doesnt....all of these pics are of the same abn
    girlie.JPG

DSC06661.JPG

DSC06668.JPG

DSC06673.JPG

DSC06676.JPG

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I'll say "YES". Where is my coupon?:giggle:
    Ken

17. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;bb:;rl

18. Toddnbecka Member Member

That one looks like a female, sometimes they do have very short bristles. The body is also a bit different when viewed from below. Gravid females are especially easy to tell apart from males because they're so much fatter and wider.

19. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That's what i meant about female with bristles :) Just barely on the lip.
    Maybe just me but the last pic looks like she is gravid. Crossing my fingers here ;)
    Carol

20. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

well i have 2 males and 1 gal...ive moved her and my biggest boy into a bigger tank so my fingers are crossed also!

TY everyone!