Always heat packs in shipments or not???

SanDiegoRedneck

So next week I am shipping some guppies, (I've shipped lots of shrimp never fish) i have breather bags and ammonia pad to cut.

Question is at what temp to you decide to use heat pack? Do you look at both destinations zip and decide, or always use? Box will be well insulated w styrafoam.

Thank you for advice

PeteStevers

I personally have never shipped livestock. I have been the recipient. Typically, they look at the temp of the destination and decide whether an insulated heat pack or ice pack would need to be used. Remember, the package could end up sitting between being dropped somewhere and picked up by the local carrier to the final destination. Then it could potentially sit on someone's front porch for hours in full sun. Also, I think they stop feeding so they poop less or not at all in the bag. Good luck!

SanDiegoRedneck

PeteStevers said:
I personally have never shipped livestock. I have been the recipient. Typically, they look at the temp of the destination and decide whether an insulated heat pack or ice pack would need to be used. Remember, the package could end up sitting between being dropped somewhere and picked up by the local carrier to the final destination. Then it could potentially sit on someone's front porch for hours in full sun. Also, I think they stop feeding so they poop less or not at all in the bag. Good luck!
Right I ship like 6 boxes of shrimp a week but just starting with one live fish. A trio. And plan to separate Male from females so he doesn't stress them out even more. Plus breather bags n ammonia pad and insulated box. Lol

But I'll take the good luck

coralbandit

I am using heat packs every box now basically as it has gone down to 30f here in NY at night [ it's that time of year here ] .
Also most of my shipments are rams and they dig over 80 so no sweat for me if it is not real cool .
I only go without heat packs for 3-4 months a year [ summer]. Even swordtails did fine last week with heat pack .
I use good insulation all year .

Top Bottom