Always Have Green Smelly Water... Extremely Frustrated!!

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lately I've been dealing with extremely green water.. and I'm sick of it.

Ive always gotten green sand because of my lights.. ive tried 3 different lights, and cut the time to only 7/8 hours a day.. still get green sand no matter how much I mix it and reduce light so I just gave up and accepted it.

The past few weeks I've been getting green water now. At first it was just cloudy, then green started to come.. now its cloudy and green!!

Ive been trying everything to fix it!! I've done multiple water changes, big and small.. ive kept lights off for 20hrs a day, I've completely cleaned the filter(aquaclear 110), and ive gotten activated carbon.. everything does not help. After big water changes the green comes back within a day or two.. green goes on the sand within hours.

Any help would be appreciated..

My parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20ppm

Heres pictures!
atank1.jpg

atank2.jpg

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its not a permanent fix but 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon will kill it off.

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rather find what's causing this.. and no its not near a window

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really don't have a set time on how often, all really depends how much Nitrates when I test there is. sometimes its weekly, sometimes its biweekly when nitrates are still pretty low on the first week. This green water has me doing bigger WC's weekly tho. I am using Marineland 48" led advanced strip light

AntsRule

Reaction score
I would turn down the light, the fish don't really need light at all, its really just for our observation. As long as there is some ambient light there good. Why do you have such an expensive and bright light with no live plants? I think the lights definitely the problem, can you dial it down?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
^^^ This ^^^

Without live plants to utilize the light and nutrients in the water, all you're doing is boosting constant algae growth.

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't dial down the lights.. only has 1 setting..
I got the light for cheap.. LFS sells for $400, I got it for $150 brand new off of Kijiji.
Honestly I was just looking for a good light and I figured a $400 light was fine(tbh I don't even like it that much, its not bright.. but it has a night setting which I like.)

I see.. I dropped down my lights to 6/7 hours a day, and STILL.. so much green. Other than having zero light, what can I do?
I do have a fixture with a single t5 bulb in it.. I got it when I first got the tank. This light REALLY turned my sand green, which is why I looked for a new one. Should I use that?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Travis Bradbury said:
I can't dial down the lights.. only has 1 setting..
I got the light for cheap.. LFS sells for $400, I got it for $150 brand new off of Kijiji.
Honestly I was just looking for a good light and I figured a $400 light was fine(tbh I don't even like it that much, its not bright.. but it has a night setting which I like.)

I see.. I dropped down my lights to 6/7 hours a day, and STILL.. so much green. Other than having zero light, what can I do?
I do have a fixture with a single t5 bulb in it.. I got it when I first got the tank. This light REALLY turned my sand green, which is why I looked for a new one. Should I use that?
$150 is still quite a lot for an LED. My Finnex Ray2 is much more powerful and cost me $180 retail.

Other than zero lights, your only other option is to start adding live plants. Specifically, fast growing stem plants and floaters like frogbit and duckweed. Not only will these soak up any excess organic matter that would feed algae, but floating plants would actually shield your sand from too much light.

I understand that live plants aren't what everyone wants, but considering I blast my tanks with 10 hours of light per day and rarely ever get a spot of algae on the glass, I know for a fact they work.

AntsRule

Reaction score
I think the LED should be brighter than the t5, I don't know why the t5 was doing that..... This is going to sound obvious but have you tried scrubbing the glass to just stay on top the algae? How much are you feeding?

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
$150 is still quite a lot for an LED. My Finnex Ray2 is much more powerful and cost me $180 retail.

Other than zero lights, your only other option is to start adding live plants. Specifically, fast growing stem plants and floaters like frogbit and duckweed. Not only will these soak up any excess organic matter that would feed algae, but floating plants would actually shield your sand from too much light.

I understand that live plants aren't what everyone wants, but considering I blast my tanks with 10 hours of light per day and rarely ever get a spot of algae on the glass, I know for a fact they work.
well my LFS sells it for $400 so... idk..
Yes I was thinking maybe getting some live plants.. I always wanted Java moss or something like that.
Maybe Ill sell this light, and try a different one. I like current USA.. I had one before I got this one. Should I maybe just use my t5 bulb for now?

AntsRule said:
I think the LED should be brighter than the t5, I don't know why the t5 was doing that..... This is going to sound obvious but have you tried scrubbing the glass to just stay on top the algae? How much are you feeding?
My t5 light up the entire scope of my aquarium, these LEDS only really light up direct under it with the rest being sorta dark..
I have zero algae on my glass, my nertile snails, plecos and shrimps do a great job
I feed every 2 days.. I do alittle over what my FISH need, because I have about 20 shrimp in my tank.. they go crazy once they see flakes and grab as much as they can hold lol

AJ_Dee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I fought an algae bloom in my twenty gallon for the first couple of months I had it. Be prepared for this to last awhile. It’s ugly but harmless. Turn your lights off permanently until this is taken care of. The fish won’t care. I also did fifty percent water changes every other day until there was no trace of green left in the water. I wanted to do it without chemicals and after a couple weeks the algae was gone. Once it was gone I slowly increased the amount of light until I could keep them on for ten hours a day. And six months later the algae hasn’t come back.

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are some fast growing stem plants? I don't really want floating plants.

I went to my LFS and they said:

"we see this all the time, just get this(kent marine pro-clear freshwater clarifier) and it will fix it up! it will cause the green algae to go to the bottom and then suck it up when you water change afew hours later"

I mean it worked, after my big water change it was pretty clear. and now today the water is already started to turn green again.. and the light was barely on!! maybe for 2 hours after my water change from now.. and its starting to turn green..

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Travis Bradbury said:
What are some fast growing stem plants? I don't really want floating plants.

I went to my LFS and they said:

"we see this all the time, just get this(kent marine pro-clear freshwater clarifier) and it will fix it up! it will cause the green algae to go to the bottom and then suck it up when you water change afew hours later"

I mean it worked, after my big water change it was pretty clear. and now today the water is already started to turn green again.. and the light was barely on!! maybe for 2 hours after my water change from now.. and its starting to turn green..
Anacharis, hornwort, rotala indica, moneywort, hygrophila corymbosa, water wisteria, foxtail, just to name a few low maintenance fast-growing stem plants.

McGoo

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would agree that adding live plants to your tank will help, by using up excess nutrients in the water and substrate. You want them to out compete the algae for the available nutrients. My motto is plant plant plant... and when in doubt, plant some more.. lol... purigen may also help, check that out. Buy it online though, you'll save more money. Plus, it's reusable!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't have any you may want to get a bag of polyester fiber fill. It is the same stuff we ladies and some gentlemen have used for years to stuff pillows. You can get a big bag of it for next to nothing at wal-mart or order from amazon.

Stuff as much of it as you can in your filter housing. Situate it so that it is the first thing your water touches before going through other media and then back into your tank. You may need to replace it almost daily until you get this green water under control. HTH

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would I 100% need the polyester fiber fill?

So when I add some plants, would I see a nice improvement on the green? Are there any other steps other than just planting and leaving(to get rid of green)?

I did see some plants at my LFS that I liked, not sure if their fast growing stem plants, but they looked nice.

would plants that require much more light do a better job controlling the green because its USING the nutrients?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Travis Bradbury said:
Would I 100% need the polyester fiber fill?

So when I add some plants, would I see a nice improvement on the green? Are there any other steps other than just planting and leaving(to get rid of green)?

I did see some plants at my LFS that I liked, not sure if their fast growing stem plants, but they looked nice.

would plants that require much more light do a better job controlling the green because its USING the nutrients?
Plants that require more light generally also require more CO2. Stick to the easy stuff and plant as densely as you can afford to.

You will also notice, with more plants, the scent of your tank will change from an unpleasant odor to an earthy, organic "green" smell that is not at all unpleasant.

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like an more of a open tank, so I don't think ill be planting too much.. I just want to help with the green water. Acouple I don't mind

Sadly tho, my substrate is pool filter sand.. I can't plant until I get another substrate

New Threads