Always Check Your Thermometer! Sharing My Experience And Warning People.

Discussion in 'Temperature' started by LittleBlueGuppy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +431
    Experience:
    1 year
    so a short while ago, I thought my heater wasn’t working because my thermometer said the tank wasn’t even 70°. So lately I have had the tank wrapped in towels and kept adding warm water to keep the temp up. What puzzled me was the fact my nerites kept climbing out of the water the past day or so and the tank felt very warm when the thermometer said it was very cold (for a tropical tank). Yesterday was the first time I ever even considered the fact that my thermometer was off. I put the thermometer in a glass of ice water and it read 15°! Since I had previously gotten the tank up to 78° with it, went and got a different thermometer that was calibrated and it read my tank water was over 95°!:eek:I absolutely freaked and immediately moved my all my snails into a bucket and started cooling it down in hopes to save them, my betta seemed alright, he was a little pale and wasn’t as interested in food though and looked kinda like you or me in 105° degree weather. After I had cooled the snails down too about 82° (I cooled them down first and quicker because they are more heat sensitive then the betta) I started working on the main tank by removing water and slowly adding cool water till after about an hour I had managed to get the temp down to about 84° and the Bettas stress stripes disappeared and his color came back. I acclimated the snails back in after that and everything turned out okay (too my surprise I only lost 2 ramshorns through the whole ordeal). Just thought I would share my experience with this all and warn people, ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR THERMOMETER IS ACCURATE! Don’t make the same mistake I did.

I did order a new thermometer and everybody in the tank is happy now with their regular temp of between 77-82.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,050
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just curious what type of thermometer you were using? I've had a few of them with very inaccurate reading so i resorted to an infrared and can measure all my tanks in any area of the tank with the pull of the trigger.

3. aae0130

aae0130Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +447
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    image. Or one of these for spot checks....
    $5 with a 20% off coupon.

4. OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    Just started
    This is such a great tip, one thermometer I got wasnt working. Thankfully I work inside a kitchen so I took a food thermometer and check my tanks every couple days

5. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi,
    Yes some thermometers can be unreliable.
    I had a digital battery operated one and it drove me crazy for a week because I kept getting readings that varied by about 7 deg C.
    Even went and bought a new heater thinking the existing one was on the fritz. But no change. Finally bought a new mercury thermometer and all was well.

6. HitzBlack

HitzBlackNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    5 years
    I use 2 inexpensive thermometers putting one at each end of the tank. I have an infrared and never thought of using it. Will have to see how it compares

7. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  8. OP
    OP
    LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +431
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yes, how I found out was I went and got one of the kitchen thermometers that was recently calibrated and it gave me the proper reading of about 95°. I was originally using a little digital one so I ordered a different kind. It hasn’t got here yet so I just have a kitchen thermometer in my bedroom that I check the tank with.