Alum “dip” for new plants

amandaurmann

I’m getting some duckweed and frogbit within the next week or so and I wanted to do an alum dip to rid of any snails just in case

what am I exactly buying and how do I do this method? I usually just throw the plants in the tank but I can’t have snails in the tanks I want to put the plants
I may just stick them in a tub of water and pick any if I see them. I’m reading both may not survive a dip

BigManAquatics

I know you can get alum in the spice rack section at the grocery store, but thats about it. No clue on the amount or anything like that.

StarGirl

Alum dip is 3 Tbls. To a gallon of water. Let them soak overnight. I use this method. I have not used them on floaters though. I'm not sure if it will harm floaters. I was going to look that up because I am getting some soon also. I will get you back to you.

amandaurmann

Alum dip is 3 Tbls. To a gallon of water. Let them soak overnight. I use this method. I have not used them on floaters though. I'm not sure if it will harm floaters. I was going to look that up because I am getting some soon also. I will get you back to you.
Thank you, and I would appreciate it! I’ve heard back and forth if they’ll survive but I’m not apart of many fish groups or plant groups so my sources are limited and I’m not sure exactly what to Google haha

jtjgg

i bought alum at the grocery store in the spice rack, its a tiny jar. McCormick® Alum | McCormick

i've used it on water hyacinth. let the plants float upright for several hours, then flipped them upside down for a few hours. killed off all the tiny pond snails.

StarGirl

i bought alum at the grocery store in the spice rack, its a tiny jar. McCormick® Alum | McCormick

i've used it on water hyacinth. let the plants float upright for several hours, then flipped them upside down for a few hours. killed off all the tiny pond snails.
I have small plants that wont flip what about those?

jtjgg

a piece of window screen or even a towel to hold them under water for a few hours.

StarGirl

I think the 24 hours was to get the eggs too if there are any. It does kill the snails themselves pretty quickly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views