Altum Angelfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Phishphin, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So I'm thinking of getting Altum Angelfish for my 50 gallon. The only other inhabitants will be glowlight tetras and a red lizard whiptail catfish (some call it a pleco... I was considering Otos but was too worried about their health/diet). I've read that Altum Angelfish do not breed in captivity (they are all wild caught, I think). Does this mean I have less to worry about with pairing? Could I stock three in my tank without worrying that two will mate and pick on the other? Or could two pair and never breed, but still be a threat to the odd one out?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Altum angelfish can be bred in captivity but it is difficult, you could have a pair form & get aggression to the odd one out you'd have to watch them carefully for that happening or just get two

3. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Honestly I wouldn't do it. True Altums are one of the toughest fish to bring in and acclimate successfully and they get MUCH larger than the typical angelfish, much larger. I personally wouldn't dare put Altums in a 50gal. They also do much better in a bigger group as that is how they live in the wild. And keeping them would fall right in line with keeping discus (except harder IMO), really clean water. Like wild discus they can take up to a year or more to mature to the point of being able to mate. Please know that these are very high maintenance fish.

There are plenty of wild type angels out there to give you the effect without the headaches and heartbreaks.

Sorry for the morbid pics but at the time of his death one of my wild angels, not even an Altum mind you, measured in at about 7" nose to tail, and pretty much 11" tip to tip fins. And it was still fairly young and growing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, just IMO...if they are true Altums I would pass on them until you have a setup large enough and fully dedicated to them.

4. OP
    OP
    Phishphin

Wow, I did not realize this about Altums. Thanks for that specialized info Slug ! This would not apply to all angels though right? A domestically hatched pair could still be appropriate for a 50?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Yes for sure, domestic angels would be much better suited. They won't get nearly as large. These days I'm sure you can find tank bred wild types that will look just as good, be hardier, and fit the tank better.

6. OP
    OP
    Phishphin

Great!

I think my ploy was to find a species that was less likely to breed in captivity (and maybe that meant less likely to pair, ergo, have 3), but I will avoid the over reach. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice