Alternatives To Hob Filter Cartridges

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jen Clair, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Jen Clair

Jen Clair New Member Member

Hi all,
    I want to cut my own filter cartridge flossy stuff because the refills are expensive! I have 2 Aqueon HOB filters. What type of flossy stuff should i get?

Also, aqueon has "ammonia filters" that i buy, but they seem pricey for what they are. Is there a cheaper alternative?

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

How often are you changing the cartridges? You only need to change HOB filter cartridges when they are completely falling apart. Just clean them by swishing them around in dechlorinated water after a water change. I've had most of mine for more than a year.

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

You could also get a big piece of sponge like for an aquaclear 110 and cut it to fit your filters, they last about forever.

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Go to lowes and buy a bag of lava rock and the coarse pond pump sponge. put the lava rock in your filter without the cartridge and add the sponge on top. Alternatively you can put the sponge around your HOB intake and pick up some polyfil pillow stuffing.

This will increase your filter capability and it drops your maintenance cost to almost zero.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I use polyfill (from a craft store) for my mechanical media, and I change this whenever it gets dirty. I also use micron felt pads (bought in bulk from Drs. Foster & Smith) that get changed every few months. For my biological media (never gets changed), I used no-brand ceramic rings I bought in bulk from Amazon.

6. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Pinkyfilters.com! A roll is ten bucks. Cut to size. I also use the poly fill for clear water. Some bio balls, or ceramic rings and a little
    mesh bag is good. Anyone would benefit from taking a look at your filter and how it handles water, and being creative from there. I have even hot rodded my Top Fin all in one nano tank by being a little creative with media Never be a slave to the people selling you those cartridges again.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

8. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Pinky is 2 stage and much cheaper. Price does not always equal quality. Also, what the different ply are is important. The finer side can come in all sorts of coarseness (“fluffy” side pretty much the same I think. I like pinky because it’s an extra fine. There are blue kinds that let a lot more particles through, made to use with a poly fill or pad after that as the final polisher

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice