Alternatives to assassin snails?

bettaknight

Reaction score
One of my tanks has a bit of a snail infestation problem - I've tried baiting, manual removal, etc but it's not having any effect. Unfortunately as I live in New Zealand, I can't try the natural predator option of using assassin snails. Are there any alternative snails out there? It's a 20L tank with a betta fish so I can really only consider adding a snail as adding fish would overstock the tank.
Thanks!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IME clown loaches will eat snails, but they could only be temporary as they get too large for a 20 gallon

OP
bettaknight

bettaknight

Reaction score
TWiG87 said:
IME clown loaches will eat snails, but they could only be temporary as they get too large for a 20 gallon
thanks for the recommendation, but since 20L is only about 5 gallons I don't think I'll go that route

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They'll only expand if the food source will support the added population, so if you can figure out what they're eating and cut down on that, the snail numbers will go down. I had a large amount of bladder snails in my 40 gallon tank, but as it stabilized the numbers went down. Now I rarely see more them one or two at a time.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They eat fish poop, dead leaves, algae etc. so its difficult to control numbers by starving them unless you have no fish and plants.

I syphon my pest snails out at water change time. Took a while at first but I'm Ok with a dozen or so on the glass rather than a thousand!

New Threads